What do you wear for running in the rain?

I generally don't run when it's raining outside unless it's very light rain. Before the pandemic, I could always just find a treadmill or indoor track (my two clubs both have treadmills and indoor tracks). It's going to be a while before vaccinations so I am giving some thought as to running when it's raining up to moderate rain. Temperatures will typically be in the upper-30s to low-40s (winter in NH is like that) so I was wonder what you wear for that kind of running.

I know how to run down to about 26 degrees - I have the pieces to do that. The other issue is do you have to do anything to avoid slipping. I usually just slow down when the ground is wet and I always avoid puddles but sometimes you can't tell running in moderate rain.

DavGraves

Runner
Hi. I used to run if the rain was light, but now I am scared of getting sick. I have a jacket and sneakers, that don't get wet. I also try to run only at the stadium, otherwise, I can slip and fall.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I generally don't run when it's raining outside unless it's very light rain. Before the pandemic, I could always just find a treadmill or indoor track (my two clubs both have treadmills and indoor tracks). It's going to be a while before vaccinations so I am giving some thought as to running when it's raining up to moderate rain. Temperatures will typically be in the upper-30s to low-40s (winter in NH is like that) so I was wonder what you wear for that kind of running.

I know how to run down to about 26 degrees - I have the pieces to do that. The other issue is do you have to do anything to avoid slipping. I usually just slow down when the ground is wet and I always avoid puddles but sometimes you can't tell running in moderate rain.

@movdqa,

I usually make my choice depending on how long my run is going to be compared with the weather. So, if it is moderate rain and the run is short, I may just throw on a hat, light water resistant jacket, shirt, & shorts. I'll usually scale my layers depending on the length of the run. Example, if I am going to be out for 45-60 minutes, I may add a long sleeve & beanie (but still keep shorts & jacket).

Regarding slipping, this is all about shoe selection for me. I've noticed that ground contact EVA/midsole usually tends to be a bit more slick. So, I'll aim for something with a traditional rubber outsole with solid coverage (worth noting that I stay clear of crystal rubber too). What shoes are you currently running in?

Justin
RW Staff

Running in the rain is the best! As far as shoes I have found most work fine in the rain if they are normal trainers with rubber on bottom. If they don't ...I dont wear them again in rain ( I had one pair several years back that always seemed slippery on the road when wet). I do avoid areas that look smooth just in case. I thought I'd post some extra tips if newbies read this....1. Visor or hat so eyeballs don't get pelted. 2. Put phone in plastic if you run with it then put in pack or Spibelt 3. Wear lightweight tighter clothing 4. Sometimes I prefer a lightweight merino wool sock 5. NEWSPAPER to stuff shoes with when done to dry them out. sometimes after a couple hours I take out then re-stuff till dry. Don't fear running in rain with new shoes...I prefer the new ones for traction! Just stuff with paper when done and they never get stinky! Will be like new!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@Wildflower This is all great advice, thanks for sharing! Also, pulling the insoles out before stuffing them with newspaper can help them dry out a little faster.

David
RW Staff

I get very hot if I wear too much clothes.

Tend to just throw on a peaked cap if there's going to be persistent rain.
Otherwise, polyester top and shorts... don;t retain too much water.