Tips For Proper Foot Care?

As my weekly mileage has increased, I've begun noticing that I have developed calluses and/or abrasions on various spots on my feet (notably, a large callus on ball near by big toe on my right foot and a callus/abrasion on the inside heal of my left foot.)

They don't hurt or bother me in any way, but I've been rubbing my feet down with lotion regularly to keep them from hardening and using a pumice stone to smooth out the calluses out when needed. I've been applying Body Glide Foot Anti Blister Balm prior to runs to prevent blisters, but I am not sure if it is doing anything for the calluses.

Like I said, I am not particularly bothered by the calluses and they are probably just a natural result of running regularly, but I thought I'd ask and see if folks had any general recommendations on how to properly take care of my feet and keep them healthy.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @ColorBlindJames,

I've got a few background questions that might help me answer this. What socks do you typically wear? Also, what is your shoe(s) of choice? And, what size do you wear in a regular shoe vs. a running shoe?
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

I mostly wear Swiftwick Aspire Zero socks, though I have a few pairs of their Flight socks, as well as several pairs of Belaga's Blister Resist and Ultraglide socks.

The Belagas are thicker, so I tend to wear those when the weather is colder and wear the Swiftwick when it is warmer. I tend to sweat a lot and my shoes, socks, and feet are typically soaked when I finish a run, especially a long one. The Belagas are too thick and get way too wet when I wear them during the summer months.

As for shoes, I generally wear a 10.5 in a regular shoe and have always purchased the same size for my running shoes. Currently I am rotating between the New Balance FuelCell TC, Nike Zoom Fly 3, and Saucony Endorphin Speed.

Trim your toenails! You'll get holes in your socks and that's an unneeded expense.

I have had problems with overlapping toes. I've tried silicone toe separators and they help but they're a pain to remember to put on and take off and clean. These days I just tape them.

I usually cut blisters and callouses with a knife after wiping down with alcohol wipes. I don't know if alcohol wipes are even available these days though. I had a problem a few years ago where there was pressure from my shoes and I got wider shoes - the New Balance SL2 last shoes like the 1540. I also even bought a 6E but I never used it.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I mostly wear Swiftwick Aspire Zero socks, though I have a few pairs of their Flight socks, as well as several pairs of Belaga's Blister Resist and Ultraglide socks.

The Balega are thicker, so I tend to wear those when the weather is colder and wear the Swiftwick when it is warmer. I tend to sweat a lot and my shoes, socks, and feet are typically soaked when I finish a run, especially a long one. The Belagas are too thick and get way too wet when I wear them during the summer months.

As for shoes, I generally wear a 10.5 in a regular shoe and have always purchased the same size for my running shoes. Currently I am rotating between the New Balance FuelCell TC, Nike Zoom Fly 3, and Saucony Endorphin Speed.
@ColorBlindJames,

Those are all great sock options. It might be worth looking into Drymax socks. They are one of my favs. I used to get some hot spots and blistering (I too sweat a lot). I haven't had issues with Drymax. To be fair, I haven't had issues with Balega or Swiftwick in recent years either, but when I first started (running a lot) it was all about Drymax.

I'd look into buying about a half size up in your running shoes (unless you measure at a 10 and buy 10.5 for room). Typically, when we fit people in the retail shop, we go half a size up from what they measure. That is to help prevent hotspots and blisters. Your feet will, typically, swell when running longer distances (or with less rest in between runs). As an example, I measure 10.5, but I run in 11. Here is our fit guide that might help. The primary quote I think is interesting for this topic is:

"While standing, check for proper length and width by pressing your thumb down next to the ball of your foot and around the toes. A good fit should allow for half to a full thumb's width of space."
Thanks!

Justin
RW Staff

I also wear Swiftwick Aspire socks for running. I never run in any other socks, even in winter. For me, they're the best at preventing blisters, and in the winter my feet are never cold once I get going. I'll second the recommendations to keep your toenails trimmed and to size up a half size from your street shoe size. It took me a couple years of regular running to realize that all of my running shoes were too small. But even with properly sized shoes, now and then you'll get foot issues, especially as a beginner. In my opinion, calluses on your feet are good. There's no reason to shave them down unless you start getting blisters at the edges of them. I've been running for a dozen years, so by now I have substantial calluses in all the places on my feet that they need to be, and they don't cause any irritation. When you do get blisters on your feet, one trick is to lubricate them with vaseline or body glide before running. That isn't something I do regularly, though, not even with lotion - just before running when I have a blister that irritates me. For worse blisters you can cover them with a bandaid or second skin until they heal. But if it's bad enough, sometimes you just need to take a day off running to let it heal. Rotating between different shoes regularly helps to avoid this. I never run in the same pair of shoes two days in a row (which also prolongs the life of the shoes).

Trim your toenails! You'll get holes in your socks and that's an unneeded expense.

I have had problems with overlapping toes. I've tried silicone toe separators and they help but they're a pain to remember to put on and take off and clean. These days I just tape them.

I usually cut blisters and callouses with a knife after wiping down with alcohol wipes. I don't know if alcohol wipes are even available these days though. I had a problem a few years ago where there was pressure from my shoes and I got wider shoes - the New Balance SL2 last shoes like the 1540. I also even bought a 6E but I never used it.
good to see a fellow TalkTennis memer here