Supination Correction

chobbs77

I am currently landing on the outer edge of my foot and rolling in on my footstrike, and it has only gotten worse over the last 6 months. It is most prevalent when I am sprinting. Most of my shoes are trashed by 100 miles and all my spikes and speed shoes have holes in the upper around my fifth metatarsal and phalanges joint. I need to know if there is a solution to fix this, because the research I have done online has resulted in little to no new information. From what I have gathered, I need to stretch my calves and orthotics will not do much for me. Any new information would be greatly appreciated.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I am currently landing on the outer edge of my foot and rolling in on my footstrike, and it has only gotten worse over the last 6 months. It is most prevalent when I am sprinting. Most of my shoes are trashed by 100 miles and all my spikes and speed shoes have holes in the upper around my fifth metatarsal and phalanges joint. I need to know if there is a solution to fix this, because the research I have done online has resulted in little to no new information. From what I have gathered, I need to stretch my calves and orthotics will not do much for me. Any new information would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @chobbs77,

Thank you for the question. For background, could you send over a list of your current shoe rotation, please? Also, would you be able to include a picture of the bottom/outsole of your current daily trainer, too, please?

*Please note that I'm not a physician. So, I'll advise based on my experience as a runner and working in a retail running store.

Typically, we'd fit someone with the supination level you are describing into a soft, neutral shoe. We'd also want to ensure the geometry/bottom unit design wouldn't encourage you to travel outward any more than you may be already. Also, another consideration is the heel-to-toe drop. A higher heel-to-toe drop (10-12mm) could be encouraging a more accelerated rate of supination. Another consideration is the overall construction of your shoe's upper. It may be worth looking into a shoe that has some reinforcement near the fifth metatarsal. Finally, sizing is always one of the top things I check when I see premature wear on an upper. It is a pretty basic question that solves a lot of issues for people. Your running shoes (forgive me if you already know this) should be about half a size from your standard shoe size to allow roughly a thumbnail width of space between your longest toe and the shoe's edge.

Regarding the need to roll out your calves, I would take a more holistic approach to this. My experience has led me to focus on my legs from the ground up. So, I'll roll out my feet, calves, thighs, and glutes in a session. I will typically emphasize areas that feel incredibly tight. I've noticed (anecdotally) that this has helped me feel a little more balanced after a recovery session.

Finally, you are correct. From my experience, orthotics will not help as they are designed to support your arch structure. Your supination indicates that you may have a very rigid arch (which is usually the cause of supination) that doesn't allow the necessary level of pronation to absorb shock.

Justin
RW Staff

chobbs77

My current rotation is NB Fresh Foam More, NB Zante, Altra Escalante Racer, NB Beacon, Skechers GoRun Ride 8, and Nike Zoom Fly. I get all my shoes with about 1/2-1 thumb’s width.

Attachments

• 9D9B6907-57C9-4F16-8CE7-D84F385FB298.jpeg
    9D9B6907-57C9-4F16-8CE7-D84F385FB298.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 664866FC-F471-436B-92C2-6CBD25E8CB06.jpeg
    664866FC-F471-436B-92C2-6CBD25E8CB06.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 2A5A4953-5ED7-4AF3-8C6F-230192F2EA6E.jpeg
    2A5A4953-5ED7-4AF3-8C6F-230192F2EA6E.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 6
  • 5850BFCE-C962-466D-B425-945408BE714E.jpeg
    5850BFCE-C962-466D-B425-945408BE714E.jpeg
    31.5 KB · Views: 6
  • A51DEC42-2F44-487F-86DC-85D1890B0239.jpeg
    A51DEC42-2F44-487F-86DC-85D1890B0239.jpeg
    29.8 KB · Views: 6
  • E989E34A-080F-4FF2-B13D-D70041CDCAFE.jpeg
    E989E34A-080F-4FF2-B13D-D70041CDCAFE.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 6301E39A-7DAE-4891-9D4A-E93C15362651.jpeg
    6301E39A-7DAE-4891-9D4A-E93C15362651.jpeg
    25.7 KB · Views: 6

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My current rotation is NB Fresh Foam More, NB Zante, Altra Escalante Racer, NB Beacon, Skechers GoRun Ride 8, and Nike Zoom Fly. I get all my shoes with about 1/2-1 thumb’s width.

Thank you for sending these pictures, @chobbs77. Are you a forefoot striker? (more a question of curiosity)

I had Tyler take a look at the pictures too. He has a lot of knowledge from his retail days and being our Product Knowledge Coordinator. Below is our collective feedback:
  • It appears that you need a wider toe box (ideally on a shoe with some upper reinforcement).
  • Our usual recommendation for supination is a softer shoe. I would encourage that for you too.
Here are several shoe recommendations and notes:
  • New Balance Rebel
    • This shoe will have few things that could help with your supination. The flared outer edge may help with your foot strike while providing some external stability during the stance phase. Also, the upper has a weave near the fifth metatarsal head that should provide some reinforcement. It is an NB (which you seem to like)! I will note this was one of my top three shoes for 2019.
  • Topo Phantom
    • This shoe also hits several key points. The rubber outsole is placed near where you have high wear points. It has a lower heel-to-toe offset than some traditional shoes (which it looks like you typically run in lower drop shoes). Also, the forefoot is both a little more accommodating & has some structured overlays that may improve durability. The one downside to this shoe is that it isn't super soft.
  • Altra Torin 4.5 Plush
    • The Torin will have similar benefits to the Phantom above. Key differences will be the engineered mesh upper which could have a similar lifespan to your previous shoes. And, the zero drop platform.
  • Hoka Clifton 7 (I'd recommend looking into a wide)
    • This is the softest in the potential line up. The biggest benefits are the softness and higher stack height. My only concern with the Clifton 7 is durability. However, you will likely face durability issues that with any shoe in the marketplace. Many shoes aren't constructed with Supinators in mind.
Have you tried any of the shoes listed above?

Justin
RW Staff

chobbs77

Thank you for sending these pictures, @chobbs77. Are you a forefoot striker? (more a question of curiosity)

I had Tyler take a look at the pictures too. He has a lot of knowledge from his retail days and being our Product Knowledge Coordinator. Below is our collective feedback:
  • It appears that you need a wider toe box (ideally on a shoe with some upper reinforcement).
  • Our usual recommendation for supination is a softer shoe. I would encourage that for you too.
Here are several shoe recommendations and notes:
  • New Balance Rebel
    • This shoe will have few things that could help with your supination. The flared outer edge may help with your foot strike while providing some external stability during the stance phase. Also, the upper has a weave near the fifth metatarsal head that should provide some reinforcement. It is an NB (which you seem to like)! I will note this was one of my top three shoes for 2019.
  • Topo Phantom
    • This shoe also hits several key points. The rubber outsole is placed near where you have high wear points. It has a lower heel-to-toe offset than some traditional shoes (which it looks like you typically run in lower drop shoes). Also, the forefoot is both a little more accommodating & has some structured overlays that may improve durability. The one downside to this shoe is that it isn't super soft.
  • Altra Torin 4.5 Plush
    • The Torin will have similar benefits to the Phantom above. Key differences will be the engineered mesh upper which could have a similar lifespan to your previous shoes. And, the zero drop platform.
  • Hoka Clifton 7 (I'd recommend looking into a wide)
    • This is the softest in the potential line up. The biggest benefits are the softness and higher stack height. My only concern with the Clifton 7 is durability. However, you will likely face durability issues that with any shoe in the marketplace. Many shoes aren't constructed with Supinators in mind.
Have you tried any of the shoes listed above?

Justin
RW Staff
Thanks, I’ll look at these. I am a forefoot striker.