Stretch/Warm up tips after walking/standing all day at work?

I'm still very much a greenhorn, but due to my work schedule, my weekday runs have to come after work in the evenings. And I'm beginning to notice some tightness in my middle back, almost like spasms. BUT, everything I'm seeing online and youtube, deals with stretching and warming up after sitting all day at a desk. I do the complete opposite. I average walking 5-7 miles a day at work and I'm upright all day. And to go and run 2-3 miles afterwards, is taxing sometimes. I'm doing dynamics before and static stretching afterwards, but nothing is really helping my back. It's not a bad pain at all, but just annoying. Any of you veteran runners have any tips and tricks trying to safley log miles after walking a bunch of miles at work? Once again, I'm not sitting all day, I'm walking and standing all day, but I love running and I want to do what I can to be injury free. . Thanks in advance y'all!

https://teeter.com/blog/5-stretches-standing-desk/

https://www.workwhilewalking.com/9-desk-stretches-at-your-standing-desk-or-treadmill-desk

Here are a few articles on standing-desk stretches I have found. Although not specifically geared towards runners, they should be helpful.

It is probably harder to find guides on this subject because stretches at a desk are the same as stretches you would do at the track... it is just a matter of not looking like a weirdo in front of your co-workers (if you're on-site). My fiancee is a PT and, in addition to stretching, she is a big advocate of strength training too. Nothing overboard like bodybuilding but doing a little bit of lifting now and then has made a big difference for staying injury free for me through a marathon plan that's peaking at 56 miles a week.

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
A bad back is a weak front. If I ignore my daily core work, I find my back killing me at my standing desk. I can stretch all I want without much benefit if I ignore focusing on building a strong core.

Joe

Thanks for the advice and articles guys and I agree! I've noticed the weeks that I incorporate a little strength and core work, I feel more balanced overall during my runs and day to day. But I have such a hard time skipping a run for other exercise. So, I really need to get into a routine of strength and core and mobility and think of the long term. Thanks again for the tips!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @durnks,

Great tips from both @imnothammer & @Joe. For core exercises, we have an article around core work for runners here.

We teamed up awhile back with a local health and performance organization to film warm-up & stretches for running. I've linked the videos below.

Justin
RW Staff

Hi @durnks,

Great tips from both @imnothammer & @Joe. For core exercises, we have an article around core work for runners here.

We teamed up awhile back with a local health and performance organization to film warm-up & stretches for running. I've linked the videos below.

Justin
RW Staff
Thanks a bunch!! It really is amazing how much the core can negatively affect everything else if it's not strengthened as well.

I'm still very much a greenhorn, but due to my work schedule, my weekday runs have to come after work in the evenings. And I'm beginning to notice some tightness in my middle back, almost like spasms. BUT, everything I'm seeing online and youtube, deals with stretching and warming up after sitting all day at a desk. I do the complete opposite. I average walking 5-7 miles a day at work and I'm upright all day. And to go and run 2-3 miles afterwards, is taxing sometimes. I'm doing dynamics before and static stretching afterwards, but nothing is really helping my back. It's not a bad pain at all, but just annoying. Any of you veteran runners have any tips and tricks trying to safley log miles after walking a bunch of miles at work? Once again, I'm not sitting all day, I'm walking and standing all day, but I love running and I want to do what I can to be injury free. . Thanks in advance y'all!
I have used Jay Johnson's LMLS for years with good success.
https://coachjayjohnson.com/necessary-warm-up-for-runners/
If I don't do it now pre-run, it makes a real difference: I can feel tightness in my hips for a mile or two and forces a shortened stride and slower pace until warmed up.

I have used Jay Johnson's LMLS for years with good success.
https://coachjayjohnson.com/necessary-warm-up-for-runners/
If I don't do it now pre-run, it makes a real difference: I can feel tightness in my hips for a mile or two and forces a shortened stride and slower pace until warmed up.
Awesome! I sure appreciate it. I try to do forward/back swings each time, but hadn’t seen the other swing motions before. Nor had I come across the lung matrix. I do simple step back lunges, but not the other directions. I’ll start incorporating LMLS for sure! Thanks again!