Shoe recommendation

I currently run in the New Balance 1080 v9 and love them. I have recently switched to more of a midfoot/forefoot strike, and would like to find a shoe that is very similar, but with a lower heel drop. I don't think I am ready to go to a 0 drop yet, but was going to transition with around a 4 -5 mm drop. I am 6'3'' and 205 pounds and my biweekly long run is 3-4 hours long. Any suggestions on a shoe that would be a good match?

Last edited:
I am a midfoot striker and find an 8mm drop works well, but I do prefer the 4-6mm range. I am 6' and 160, so my experience is in shoes is different from yours. Considering your long-run length, I think you might like the Hoka Elevon (5mm) or Asics GlideRide (6mm).

I am a midfoot striker and find an 8mm drop works well, but I do prefer the 4-6mm range. I am 6' and 160, so my experience is in shoes is different from yours. Considering your long-run length, I think you might like the Hoka Elevon (5mm) or Asics GlideRide (6mm).
Thanks for your input, I will have a look at these two.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I currently run in the New Balance 1080 v9 and love them. I have recently switched to more of a midfoot/forefoot strike, and would like to find a shoe that is very similar, but with a lower heel drop. I don't think I am ready to go to a 0 drop yet, but was going to transition with around a 4 -5 mm drop. I am 6'3'' and 205 pounds and my biweekly long run is 3-4 hours long. Any suggestions on a shoe that would be a good match?
Hi @toogood,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 1080s. They are an excellent shoe. Could elaborate on what about the 1080 you like the most? What would you want to change from the 1080 (aside from the heel-to-toe offset)?

Here are a few recommendations with some notes:
  • Hoka One One Clifton 7
    • The Clifton should feel comparable underfoot. It is a different upper build (engineered mesh vs. knit). So, it won't feel the same around your foot.
  • New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon v3
    • The Beacon will be lighter and lower in offset. However, it may not feel as plush and comfortable as your 1080s. Also, I would expect that it won't be as durable.
  • @SpyTheGuy listed the ASICS GlideRide, which is comparable to the 1080. However, it isn't as soft a shoe. Personally, I'm a big fan of the GlideRide.

Justin
RW Staff

Since you like the 1080 I think the recommendation of the Beacon 3 is good, although in comparing heel drop it's 6 mm vs the 8 mm of the 1080. Because it's super light for me it makes it very smooth to run in and focus on your midfoot strike. To Justin's point if you prioritize cushion while comfortable there is no softness compared to the 1080. I also dont know if I could take the Beacon on a 3-4 hour long run and you are a tall guy so not sure i could recommend more than a 90 minute run in the Beacon's. The Clifton 7 probably makes the most sense, 4 mm drop, very soft(softer than the Bondi 7 in my opinion) and I've used the shoe to run marathon distance in training. Only thing is I find the foam kind of dies past the 20 mile mark on my runs.

Hi @toogood,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your 1080s. They are an excellent shoe. Could elaborate on what about the 1080 you like the most? What would you want to change from the 1080 (aside from the heel-to-toe offset)?

Here are a few recommendations with some notes:
  • Hoka One One Clifton 7
    • The Clifton should feel comparable underfoot. It is a different upper build (engineered mesh vs. knit). So, it won't feel the same around your foot.
  • New Balance Fresh Foam Beacon v3
    • The Beacon will be lighter and lower in offset. However, it may not feel as plush and comfortable as your 1080s. Also, I would expect that it won't be as durable.
  • @SpyTheGuy listed the ASICS GlideRide, which is comparable to the 1080. However, it isn't as soft a shoe. Personally, I'm a big fan of the GlideRide.

Justin
RW Staff
Thank you for taking the time to reply Justin. With the 1080, I really like how they have great cushioning, but at the same time, I feel like the foot is locked in and stable. I will have a look at your recommendation, thanks again!

Since you like the 1080 I think the recommendation of the Beacon 3 is good, although in comparing heel drop it's 6 mm vs the 8 mm of the 1080. Because it's super light for me it makes it very smooth to run in and focus on your midfoot strike. To Justin's point if you prioritize cushion while comfortable there is no softness compared to the 1080. I also dont know if I could take the Beacon on a 3-4 hour long run and you are a tall guy so not sure i could recommend more than a 90 minute run in the Beacon's. The Clifton 7 probably makes the most sense, 4 mm drop, very soft(softer than the Bondi 7 in my opinion) and I've used the shoe to run marathon distance in training. Only thing is I find the foam kind of dies past the 20 mile mark on my runs.
Great points, perhaps getting both the Beacon for shorter tempo runs and hills, and the Hoka's for my long run would be the best option - tho' a bit costlier one.