Running tights for New England winters

Any recommendations for nice fitting, warm running tights? I have two pairs of New Balance Impact tights. The first pair were super comfy and a good fit so I got the next years model in exactly the same size. They were way too tight, poor fitting so not impressed with NB. Would also be nice to get some in a color other than black.

Tights are fairly personal and what might fit well for one person may not fit well for another person. People have different height, different limb length, different musculature, etc. I usually read through the reviews trying to determine if something would work for me - otherwise it's go to a physical store and try things on.

That said, I do like New Balance and CW-X. I also run in EMS or Patagonia long underwear under Nike track pants when it gets really cold.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Any recommendations for nice fitting, warm running tights? I have two pairs of New Balance Impact tights. The first pair were super comfy and a good fit so I got the next years model in exactly the same size. They were way too tight, poor fitting so not impressed with NB. Would also be nice to get some in a color other than black.
@Strimmer,

@movdqa makes an excellent point on the personalization of tights. For me, I tend to run a little warmer overall. So, I typically don't need anything too thick or thermal. I've found Nike & Sugoi to be two excellent brands for tights. My "everyday" tights are Nike, but my warmer versions are Sugoi.

Do you have a particular fit concern? I've found two decently reliable tools to help pick out running clothes online (other than reviews per @movdqa). The first is fabric composition. I'll usually look at the fabric composition of the clothing I like (that will impact feel & fit a decent amount). I try to get as close as I can to the piece I really like. The second is stitching pattern. Some pieces have more articulated stitching. So, if I really like the fit, I will look for similar stitch patterns. Personally, I've found these two to provide pretty reliable results.

As a side note, our tight selection will expand a bit around October. This is, around, when sales increase for cold weather pieces.

Justin
RW Staff

I might recommend looking into a long-sleeve cold weather shirt. There's another thread here on winter gloves and another user pointed out how important it is to keep your core warm first (then, if you're still cold, you can worry about your extremities)

Take a look at the Under Armor Cold Gear line. I literally still have one of their long sleeve compression shirts from high school (more than 15 years ago for me...) and it is invaluable during New England winters. Unless there is a strong wind, I will run in that shirt, some gloves, and shorts.