Running mask

My college team is allowed to start limited practice next week but we’re required to wear masks. Anyone have any good recommendations for a mask that is relatively breathable. (I don’t think we can wear buffs)

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My college team is allowed to start limited practice next week but we’re required to wear masks. Anyone have any good recommendations for a mask that is relatively breathable. (I don’t think we can wear buffs)

Hi @AlexMatteson,

@Andrew A. made a great callout with the UA Sport mask. I just picked one up myself. Unfortunately, I have not run in it yet. So, I cannot give you feedback on performance. I will say it is by far my most comfortable mask. My only concern for running is how thick the material is.

The other alternative is the BOA masks. Several people on our team use these to run in, and I've heard good things. I have heard some negative feedback from runners about the second layer clinging to them as they breathe in. From my understanding, this bothers some people more than others.

Justin
RW Staff

Andrew A.

Pacer
Hi @AlexMatteson,
I have heard some negative feedback from runners about the second layer clinging to them as they breathe in. From my understanding, this bothers some people more than others.

Justin
RW Staff
I have definitely had some "drowning" moments when pulling the mask up late on runs in warmer and more humid weather, when my sweat isn't evaporating as quickly and instead is saturating the mask material. This is for the more unstructured, non-form fitting masks, which I got from a cycling apparel company and which is what the BOA masks also appear to be.

imnothammer

Edit: Just caught that you might not be allowed to use buffs, so my recommendation is not applicable but I thought I would leave it up for anyone curious about this question.

Double Edit: Just took this gaiter for its first long run and its dye is not colorfast! I nearly ruined a nice singlet with the weird sweat drop stains it left :mad:

We have had an odd run of weather here lately that has required me to hit the treadmill for some of my longer runs, which has meant running in a mask.

For what it's worth, in a pinch, even the basic disposable masks you get at the grocery store work just fine for running once you get over the initial discomfort. However, I really like the Cooling Gaiter from Mission, which has been really comfortable.

Last edited:
The ASICS mask looks interesting. I find the Teca Cotton Masks from Cotopaxi are hugely breathable for running. They are not at all ideal for indoor use, but I think great for hiking and decent enough for running that you don't feel handicapped.

SpeedSlug

Runner
I live in NYC and have run in super high humidity, high temps with BOA's masks and felt perfectly fine.

I believe there is an adjustment period to it but it is not hindering after a couple of hours in running with one. Barely notice it. I usually run with a second mask for when I finish running and cool off and put a cleaner one on. Good luck this season and let us know which ones have worked great (or not great) for you and your team.

Update: I’ve been running in cheap cotton ones I got from amazon, they aren’t comfortable but also aren’t awful.
A bunch of the guys seem to like wearing the signal use surgical type ones but I feel like that’s kinda wasteful.
I’ll probably order the ASICS or boa mask soon though.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Update: I’ve been running in cheap cotton ones I got from amazon, they aren’t comfortable but also aren’t awful.
A bunch of the guys seem to like wearing the signal use surgical type ones but I feel like that’s kinda wasteful.
I’ll probably order the ASICS or boa mask soon though.

Thanks for the update, @AlexMatteson!

Justin
RW Staff

DavGraves

Runner
This is very relevant now when it is cold outside and the mask is too hot because because of breathing it becomes wet. I found a normal mask in a Korean store, it's really easier to breathe in, it's dense, but it's easier to breathe in.