Prefontaine Classic this Weekend - Aired on Peacock

imnothammer

https://www.letsrun.com/news/2021/0...top-10-races-at-the-2021-prefontaine-classic/

LetsRun has got a pretty thorough preview of this weekend's meet, Saturday's events being aired on Peacock.

I am sure a lot of attention will be given to the women's sprint events, which will see Sha'Carri Richardson returning to the track and challenging the Jamaican trio who swept Tokyo. I have to laugh at myself because the bravado of sprinters always seems offputting to me, which puts me in the unique situation of watching this race as a neutral. The 100 will have a super talented field, with 5 out of 8 women having run under 10.8 this season.

The mile may be one of my favorite events. Period. Having grown up struggling through the mile run tests in gym and reading books about Roger Bannister's efforts to break the 4 minute barrier, it is insane to me that this field will have six runners under the 3:50 mark. I think this will ultimately be the Ingebrigtsen show, but Cheruiyot will be challenging. I posted before the Olympics about Centrowitz's Olympic tune up mile and his attempt at the American Record. He fell fairly short there and this is probably his last crack at it. After a disappointing (but somewhat unfair) exit in the 1500 semis at Tokyo, I think 3:46 is probably out of his grasp. If he can ride the coattails of the lead pack then maybe?

Speaking of records, Sifan Hassan will be turning her attention to the 5k. With a 3:51 1500 and 29:06 10k to her name, running a 14:06 doesn't seem out of the question.

Andrew A.

Pacer
Got to catch the replay on Peacock, a fun meet to watch! McSweyn was impressive in the mile, he arguably broke that race open, and Centro looks ready for a break. Mu ran an outstanding race, she's a smooth assassin and if she stays healthy the next few years should get the 800m WR. Great race in the women's 100m, Thompson-Herah is also a smooth assassin. Richardson definitely provides added intrigue, and she needs to perform better if that intrigue is to sustain. Speaking of that, this happened in the B-race men's mile on Friday night:
Mullet can't close, manbun FTW.
Men's shot was really good, as was the men's triple jump. Chelimo was strong in the men's 2-mile. Jeruto, who wasn't on the Kenyan team for Tokyo, ran a dominating steeple for a #3 all-time performance and Frerichs was incredible running a new AR. Faith Kipyegon is just on another level in the women's 1500m.