newbie for a marathon

Hello! I'm new at the forum, I'm starting a marathon for beginners, in autumn I was the first, and I still have good memories. There were problems with shoes, my friends advised only expensive shoes, and in the end, I had enough inexpensive shoes for $40. If you have any advice on preparing for the winter marathon, I would read it. Thank you.

Howdy! Your question is really broad so I am not certain where to begin...

Your post is also somewhat unclear, have you already run one marathon? If yes, how did it go? Was there anything that surprised you or that you wish you could have done differently now that you're across the line? I learned a lot after my first marathon (like proper pacing and proper fueling) by making a ton of mistakes.

If you haven't already run one marathon then your first step should be selecting a training plan that is achievable for your fitness/skill level. There are plenty of off-the-shelf plans out there and I used Higdon's Intermediate I Plan for my very first race. I didn't post a crazy time but I did comfortably complete the distance which I considered a success.

Your post also hints at shoe selection. You are right that you don't need an expensive shoe but on the other side of the coin you should not be cutting corners by purchasing a cheap shoe which might not be adequate for the task. If price is a concern, there quite a few capable shoes in the $80 - $100 range at Running Warehouse's Clearance Page, the Adidas Adizero and Hoka Rincon immediately jumping out there. If you're willing to spend a little more, there are more options than we could possibly cover. I had a fairly good experience with the Nike Pegasus 37 recently but I am absolutely LOVING the Saucony Endorphin Shift as a daily trainer. I have also always loved the Mizuno Waverider series for training as well. While not required (I have run marathons in daily trainers) you will eventually want to consider getting a "super shoe" for race day... these fall into the bucket of "you need to experience them to believe them" but they absolutely make a difference... to use a baseball analogy it is the difference between using a wooden and metal bat. Both hit a ball just fine but one is going to put it in the outfield and the other is going to put it in the parking lot. I have loved my Nike Vaporfly 4%'s and I am picking up a pair of Saucony Endorphin Pro's in the next week or so.

Another area that your post touches on is winter training. Are you somewhere that the weather is going to factor into this? Training in the winter can be difficult for a variety of reasons. Dealing with cold requires gear that you are comfortable with (I prefer a long-sleeve compression top and shorts even in temps under 32F). Another thing to consider is possibly having to run in the dark given the lack of daylight during the winter. This can be mitigated or avoided by running on a track or on a treadmill but, if you are going to run on the road then you need to be concerned with cars and other hazards (ice, potholes, etc...). At a minimum I recommend reflective gear (so that cars can see you) but I use a nox tracer vest which is insanely bright... cars cannot miss me.

Good luck! I am not a pro but I have done this once or twice... or a few more times before. Feel free to ask follow ups if you have them.

Thank you so much for answering! Of course, I would like to share my experience, but I am not sure if I can do it since I had done only one marathon. I am so new here. It was a local autumn marathon for 6 miles only, for the beginners, and it was pretty easy, but my shoes have died. That's why I wanted to ask about any options.

No worries! Running is for folks of all abilities, experience, and skills. You should never feel the need to apologize for sharing your experience or asking a question.

Just to clear one thing up, I realize that the word "marathon" has different meanings in different regions. I use it strictly to mean the marathon distance (26.2 miles or 42.2 kilometers) but I realize that others may simply use it to refer to a long run. My advice above is geared towards running 26.2 miles, so sorry if my response was a bit overkill. However, I think some of the comments are still applicable to your 6 mile effort.

One thing that remains constant is finding a dedicated training plan that works for you. There are plenty of 5k, half-marathon, and marathon training plans out there. Find a distance that you would like to work on and pick a plan that will get you to your goal. For me, the most important thing about training is establishing a routine and sticking to it. It sounds obvious but I make the most progress when I am doing all of my workouts and not when I am taking a few days (or a week) off because I am exhausted or feeling lazy. This means striking a balance between a plan that will challenge you but not one that will overwhelm you.

Returning to shoes... if you're not running 26.2 miles then there isn't a need to buy one of the more expensive "super shoes" (although they certainly can be used in training if you want to go all-in) and if you're not putting up weekly mileage towards the higher end of things then you might be able to get away with running in inexpensive shoes. However, I really still would advise against it. Shoes are the most important piece of gear for running and they will have an impact not only on your performance but also your health. They're worth spending a bit more on. I am sure the staff here at RW will swoop in with a few solid recommendations but I will stand behind my nods to the Saucony Shift, Nike Pegasus, and Mizuno Waverider as daily trainers that are well worth looking into. These will fall in the $120 - $140 range but you should be able to get 400 - 500 miles out of them so the value is still there.

Last edited: