New Balance Fuelcell RC Elite - A True Elite Marathon Racer

mrohlf

Interesting. I'm glad to see the focus on getting under 7 ounces. But without knowing the specs, I too wonder about the stack. It doesn't look very high. Is this going to be in the Asics Metaracer category, or perhaps Skechers Speed Elite? So far only Nike has combined high stack with sub-7 ounce weight in a carbon plated shoe. Other companies have chosen one of those but not the other, with Saucony perhaps coming the closest to balancing them both but without quite rivaling the Next% specs on either.

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting. I'm glad to see the focus on getting under 7 ounces. But without knowing the specs, I too wonder about the stack. It doesn't look very high. Is this going to be in the Asics Metaracer category, or perhaps Skechers Speed Elite? So far only Nike has combined high stack with sub-7 ounce weight in a carbon plated shoe. Other companies have chosen one of those but not the other, with Saucony perhaps coming the closest to balancing them both but without quite rivaling the Next% specs on either.
The RC Elite will definitely be more cushioned than the MetaRacer or Speed Elite. We measured the Fuelcell TC at 36-26 and it should only be slightly lower in stack. My prototype doesnt feel quite as cushioned as an Alphafly/Vaporfly but it still feels fery cushioned underfoot and can easily go the full marathon distance.

Lionsden

The RC Elite will definitely be more cushioned than the MetaRacer or Speed Elite. We measured the Fuelcell TC at 36-26 and it should only be slightly lower in stack. My prototype doesnt feel quite as cushioned as an Alphafly/Vaporfly but it still feels fery cushioned underfoot and can easily go the full marathon distance.

It’s interesting the perspective you have with the alphafly/vaporfly. I’ve never run in the alphafly but I find a huge difference in cushion between the 4% and next %. In my opinion I would rather run a marathon in the TC over the 4% even with extra weight. The next % is a whole different deal though, no question I would choose it over either, the weight to cushion ratio seems tough to beat. So I’m very interested how the RC feels and either way I’m going to do my best to get a pair on the 1st.

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
It’s interesting the perspective you have with the alphafly/vaporfly. I’ve never run in the alphafly but I find a huge difference in cushion between the 4% and next %. In my opinion I would rather run a marathon in the TC over the 4% even with extra weight. The next % is a whole different deal though, no question I would choose it over either, the weight to cushion ratio seems tough to beat. So I’m very interested how the RC feels and either way I’m going to do my best to get a pair on the 1st.
I'd agree, I've done a good amount of running in the OG 4% and Next %. The Next % definetely feels more cushioned (which it should, it has more ZoomX underfoot) but both for me have plenty of cushioning for the Marathon. The MetaRacer and Speed Elite on the otherhand feel much lower in comparison and many people will find them more suitable for the 10k to half marathon. So far I find the Fuelcell RC Elite to be very cushioned underfoot. Maybe just a little less cushioned than the OG Vaporfly but again as I said, I personally wouldnt hesistate to use it for the full. Everyone's gait and feel is a little different, but since the TC has suited you well, I think the RC Elite will be what you're looking for. If you're on the site first thing 9/1, I think you'll have a good chance of securing yourself a pair!

Connor
RW Staff

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
I have been waiting for this shoe forever. Why does New Balance have to be the last one to the party?! Save the best for last?! I have experienced Fuelcell in the Rebel and was blown away by the cushion and how fast it made me run. I'm currently using the 1400v4 for racing (yes, it's an older model but it's gotten the job done) and I've been hesitant to replace the 1400 series. Even been considering upgrading to the 1400v6 but I'll wait to see the reviews on the Fuelcell RC. I've noticed the elite runners sponsored by New Balance were running in the 1400v6 before the road races stopped so I'm sure they'll start using the RC in road races now. Is it night and day between the 1400 series and the Fuelcell RC?
The 1400 had always been a solid Racer and as of now it will continue in the line. Many athletes have been using it for years because its light, nimble, simple, and it works. But now with the addition of the RC Elite, I think you're going to see many more athletes making the transition on race/ workout day. The new foam that works with the carbon fiber plate has been shown to have efficiency benefits and many athletes especially like the recovery benefits as well. We talked with Kim Conley and she mentioned that she's loves the responsiveness of the RC Elites and after a really hard workout she doesnt feel nearly as beat up as she would in a more minimally cushioned flat. She did mention she will continue to use the 1400 for some specific workout days but the RC Elite would be the shoe she will most likely lean to on race day.

Connor
RW Staff

Last edited:

Lionsden

I ordered the RC and can’t wait to give it a go. I am wondering though as I haven’t heard anything about a rocker, such as Saucony’s speedroll, or Hoka’s meta rocker, etc. Do you have any information if there is rocker tech in this shoe? It doesn’t seem like there is in the TC or if so it isn’t very pronounced like in other shoes. Thank you

m8sr8z

I enjoy the FuelCell TC for tempo/interval training. I love the dramatic pop off the forefoot That the TC gives. The only issue with the TC is the weight as it is really too heavy for me to race in. The RC should be an excellent racing shoe. If it maintains similar geometry to the the TC then I would think it best for me as a 5k-half marathon shoe. The cushion on the TC is super soft and plenty for longer runs but I find the heel is so soft that it sinks in at slower speeds and it can be difficult to maintain form when tired. The TC comes alive at faster speeds (with a more mid-forefoot strike). I would definitely want to try out the RC and could see it replacing my Vaporflys for shorter/faster races if it delivers on the idea of a lighter TC. However, I doubt it would replace my Vaporflys for marathon racing.
Hi everyone, could please advise if you had to go up a shoe size from the TC to the RC shoe?
Thanks Grant