New Balance Fuelcell RC Elite - A True Elite Marathon Racer

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member

Its official, the elite New Balance carbon fiber plate racer is coming in September.

Carbon Fiber Plate + an even lighter / more responsive Fuelcell midsole = a sub 7 oz Super Shoe.

What are your thoughts on the RC Elite? Will it make it into you racing shoe arsenal?

Connor
RW Staff

I enjoy the FuelCell TC for tempo/interval training. I love the dramatic pop off the forefoot That the TC gives. The only issue with the TC is the weight as it is really too heavy for me to race in. The RC should be an excellent racing shoe. If it maintains similar geometry to the the TC then I would think it best for me as a 5k-half marathon shoe. The cushion on the TC is super soft and plenty for longer runs but I find the heel is so soft that it sinks in at slower speeds and it can be difficult to maintain form when tired. The TC comes alive at faster speeds (with a more mid-forefoot strike). I would definitely want to try out the RC and could see it replacing my Vaporflys for shorter/faster races if it delivers on the idea of a lighter TC. However, I doubt it would replace my Vaporflys for marathon racing.

I am most excited about this shoe over any other racer. I can’t wait to compare it to the Vaporfly 4% and Next %. One thing I haven’t heard talked about is the stack height. My daily trainer is the TC and feel it’s about the perfect amount of stack, the RC looks slightly less. Will it feel as soft as the TC? Does it have some type of roll (ie speed roll Saucony) technology?

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
@PEG @Lionsden If you're a fan of the TC but just looking for something a little faster, you're going to love RC. It has a very similar ride/geometry but the foam is modified, making it a little lighter and even more responsive. It does appear it'll offer a slightly lower stack than the TC but not much, it's still very cushioned underfoot. The shoe also takes out the extra rubber and overlays from the TC, stripping it down to just the essentials. Will it be better than the Vaporfly? That'll come down to personal preference but it'll be right up there in terms of specs and performance. I've been really enjoying it so far.

Connor
RW Staff

@PEG @Lionsden If you're a fan of the TC but just looking for something a little faster, you're going to love RC. It has a very similar ride/geometry but the foam is modified, making it a little lighter and even more responsive. It does appear it'll offer a slightly lower stack than the TC but not much, it's still very cushioned underfoot. The shoe also takes out the extra rubber and overlays from the TC, stripping it down to just the essentials. Will it be better than the Vaporfly? That'll come down to personal preference but it'll be right up there in terms of specs and performance. I've been really enjoying it so far.

Connor
RW Staff
Thank you Conner! I absolutely can’t wait to give them a go.

Can you tell us the price?? TC was hands down one of teh best shoes in the past year. It really can do everything. If I can pick a pair up without having to fight a resell market, and without having to take a second mortgage out, I would be highly motivated to pick them up.

-Chuck

I have been waiting for this shoe forever. Why does New Balance have to be the last one to the party?! Save the best for last?! I have experienced Fuelcell in the Rebel and was blown away by the cushion and how fast it made me run. I'm currently using the 1400v4 for racing (yes, it's an older model but it's gotten the job done) and I've been hesitant to replace the 1400 series. Even been considering upgrading to the 1400v6 but I'll wait to see the reviews on the Fuelcell RC. I've noticed the elite runners sponsored by New Balance were running in the 1400v6 before the road races stopped so I'm sure they'll start using the RC in road races now. Is it night and day between the 1400 series and the Fuelcell RC?

I enjoy the FuelCell TC for tempo/interval training. I love the dramatic pop off the forefoot That the TC gives. The only issue with the TC is the weight as it is really too heavy for me to race in. The RC should be an excellent racing shoe. If it maintains similar geometry to the the TC then I would think it best for me as a 5k-half marathon shoe. The cushion on the TC is super soft and plenty for longer runs but I find the heel is so soft that it sinks in at slower speeds and it can be difficult to maintain form when tired. The TC comes alive at faster speeds (with a more mid-forefoot strike). I would definitely want to try out the RC and could see it replacing my Vaporflys for shorter/faster races if it delivers on the idea of a lighter TC. However, I doubt it would replace my Vaporflys for marathon racing.
I could not agree with you more about the TC. It is too soft for me even at marathon distance. Hopefully the RC is a little firmer. Not as firm as the rebels but somewhere in between.

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
@carljackson04 I've been testing a prototype of the RC and it still feels pretty soft but the midsole material has been tweaked and in my opininon is not quite as soft as the TC. It has a little more pop and just feels faster. Will have to wait until the final product releases soon, but I imagine it'll provide more of the sensation you're looking for.

Connor
RW Staff