Marathon Survival Guide

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Last year I experienced running my first marathon. It was fun, exhilarating, and a learning experience. Reflecting back on it, I know I made a lot of mistakes. There were things I wished I knew before I signed up.

To help you avoid making the same mistakes, our team came together to help you survive your marathon.

Check it out here.

Have you ran a marathon before? If you have, what are some of your memorable stories? If not, are there any marathons you want to race? Comment below to share your thoughts!

Tyler
RW Staff

Have you ran a marathon before? If you have, what are some of your memorable stories? If not, are there any marathons you want to race? Comment below to share your thoughts!
I have run three marathons, so far I am from a pro but for newbies I can say unequivocally "DON'T LET THE HYPE TRAIN RUIN YOUR PACE!"

NYC was my first marathon and I wanted to run it in under four hours. A pretty modest goal for someone with a lot of sprinting experience and very little true distance experience. I had trained well and this seemed like an easy mark to hit (~9:10 per mile), until race day...

They ferry you over to Staten Island and the crowd of runners is going nuts, it feels like a mini-olympic village. Everyone is stretching, striding, and stuffing all the freebies that they can manage into their packs. The organizers begin to push you towards the corrals and from their the adrenaline starts to kick in. To make matters worse, there's a literal cannon blast for the start of the elite runners. From this point on Sinatra's New York, New York is blaring on repeat. When you get up to the line and start running over the bridge the excitement reaches a fever pitch. There was even a news helicopter strafing the bridge... I took off like a rocket. First mile-marker... 6:55... I really need to slow down! Second mile marker... 7:15... ok, for real, time to slow down! 5k marker... 22 and change...

Eventually I was able to gear down into the pace that I had actually trained for but the damage was done. The hills on the bridge and central park killed me but I had such a great time during this race. NYC felt like a 26 mile party with all of the crowd support. Hope to do it again one day.

I've learned a lot since then and have been training my way towards a possible BQ (it is still just a little out of reach). I have a busy calendar lined up so I am excited to see what 2021 holds.