How to handle pain in knees

Hello! I've finally started running regularly again for the first time since high school cross country (~5 years later). The problem is... after about 6 weeks of training my knees have started to hurt and feel uncomfortable during and after the run. What can I do to remediate this? I tried KT tape for the first time this morning and while it felt pretty good it started to peel off when raining and it's also pretty expensive. What else can be done? Lower mileage? Braces/sleeves? Stretching and icing? I'm willing to try anything if it will mean I can run without worrying about it anymore. Thanks!

@technocrow I get the same problem occasionally when I take a break from running and start base building again. Where on your knee exactly does it hurt? Like behind the knee cap or the side?

imnothammer

I know it might not be serious, but talk to your doctor. People can offer suggestions here but it is all guess work. You don't want to rely on that if it is actually more and especially if it can be remediated now with proper advice.

I am fortunate enough to be engaged to a PT and I get by with the stretches/exercises she gives me plus a lot of aspirin for after the really tough workouts.

I know it might not be serious, but talk to your doctor. People can offer suggestions here but it is all guess work. You don't want to rely on that if it is actually more and especially if it can be remediated now with proper advice.

I am fortunate enough to be engaged to a PT and I get by with the stretches/exercises she gives me plus a lot of aspirin for after the really tough workouts.
Thanks! I know that's the most obvious thing to do. I'm looking into the sports physicians in the area.

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
See a physical therapist first and foremost to get a proper diagnosis. That said, pain behind the knee cap generally indicates your knee isn't tracking properly usually due to a weak vastus medialis. Leg extensions usually work to build strength in the area. For the time being cut back the miles, ice after all runs for about 10 min and iburofen 3 times a day for 2 week and you should start to see relief.

Start with a visit to a PT first.

Joe

@imnothammer @technocrow yeah at the end of the day imnothammer is right in terms of seeing a physician cause spoiler alert, I'm not a doctor. It's just a recommendation off of my experience. But in my personal experience, it sounds like runners knee. Try some knee extensions to strengthen the teardrop muscle on your quad & whichever exercises (bridges, rdl, hammy curls) that you feel comfortable with at your level to strengthen that hamstring. Both of those will help stabilize that knee. Lower the volume of your training until it feels better.

DavGraves

Runner
It happened to me at the first training, I injured my shoulder and knee. As the coach said, first you need to strengthen the body, and then add weight. Be careful, then I spent a lot of money on rehabilitation.