Gloves for coldest weather

I’ve recently moved to Michigan from California, and am used to my cold weather being in the 30s, but I think I’ll be in for a rude awakening. My hands are the most susceptible to the cold so gloves will be very important. Any suggestions on the best cold weather running gloves that aren’t just ski gloves?
The only ones I see on RW are “Salomon RS Warm Gloves”. Are they worth the $$?

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @timrunsalot I haven't lived in Michigan, but I visited Ann Arbor one winter when I was visiting the University of Michigan. Coming from the central coast of CA, it was a completely different environment. The Salomon RS gloves will be a good choice as they are one of the thickets gloves we will carry. My only complaint about them was being too thick, but that might be a good thing given the winters there.

But come September and early October, you will see more of a selection on our website as we start receiving our winter inventory. GORE will be coming out with some gloves that you may also like.

Tyler
RW Staff

Last edited:

imnothammer

I have used the Saucony Ulti-Mitt for New England (maybe not Michigan cold but pretty close!).

I like them a lot because in glove form they offer enough breathability that I am not begging to take them off in the 30 - 50 degree range and in mitten form they offer enough coverage/warmth that I am not frostbitten in the 10 - 30 degree range. They're definitely not roasty-toasty in the bitter cold but they do a decent job. They're also thin enough that you can easily operate a watch and with some difficulty work a smartphone's touch screen if need really be.

ehanneken

Runner
I live in Ohio, and own several pairs of gloves with varying degrees of insulation. At the thickest end are my Salomon gloves (Not sure if they're an older version of the RS gloves; they look similar.), and my Salomon mittens. In the coldest weather, I'll put one hand warmer in each. Sometimes two.

Edited to add: Sometimes the best thing you can do for your hands is to add a layer to your torso. When your core gets cold, your body will sacrifice your extremities to keep it warm.

Last edited:
Hi @timrunsalot I haven't lived in Michigan, but I visiting Ann Arbor one winter when I was visiting the University of Michigan. Coming from the central coast of CA, it was a completely different environment. The Salomon RS gloves will be a good choice as they are one of the thickets gloves we will carry. My only complaint about them was being too thick, but that might be a good thing given the winters there.

But come September and early October, you will see more of a selection on our website as we start receiving our winter inventory. GORE will be coming out with some gloves that you may also like.

Tyler
RW Staff
Thanks Tyler! I’ll be on the lookout for the new inventory.

I have used the Saucony Ulti-Mitt for New England (maybe not Michigan cold but pretty close!).

I like them a lot because in glove form they offer enough breathability that I am not begging to take them off in the 30 - 50 degree range and in mitten form they offer enough coverage/warmth that I am not frostbitten in the 10 - 30 degree range. They're definitely not roasty-toasty in the bitter cold but they do a decent job. They're also thin enough that you can easily operate a watch and with some difficulty work a smartphone's touch screen if need really be.
Thanks @imnothammer ! Looks like the still have them on their website and a bit cheaper than the Salomons.

I live in Ohio, and own several pairs of gloves with varying degrees of insulation. At the thickest end are my Salomon gloves (Not sure if they're an older version of the RS gloves; they look similar.), and my Salomon mittens. In the coldest weather, I'll put one hand warmer in each. Sometimes two.

Edited to add: Sometimes the best thing you can do for your hands is to add a layer to your torso. When your core gets cold, your body will sacrifice your extremities to keep it warm.
Thanks @ehanneken - something I didn’t think about since the rest of my body usually is fine and it’s just my hands, but if it gets cold enough I’ll probably be dealing with exactly what you’re saying. Layer up!

Andrew A.

Pacer
I’ve recently moved to Michigan from California, and am used to my cold weather being in the 30s, but I think I’ll be in for a rude awakening. My hands are the most susceptible to the cold so gloves will be very important. Any suggestions on the best cold weather running gloves that aren’t just ski gloves?
Hey @timrunsalot, though RW doesn't sell them (yet?) I have to put in a plug for Tracksmith's NDO mittens: https://www.tracksmith.com/products/ndo-mittens. They're actually a 2-mitt system, with a soft, fleece inner mitt and a softshell outer mitt and can be used separately for varying conditions or together for cold and windy conditions, plus a liner glove can be worn under for the worst of the worst. I have worn them through Colorado winter, which isn't nearly as brutal as midwest winter (especially when it's dark). Best wishes for warm hands!

markn

Runner
Mittens are always better than gloves.

Cheap solution is to wear some old socks over mittens.

Alternative is to use the "hand warmer" packets. These can be reused is you store them in an air-tight plastic bag. They're good for at least 2 runs unless your runs are super long.

I bought a pair of Arcteryx fleece gloves a long time ago and I used these for several years before putting a hole in one of them. They made good driving gloves too. They are useless when it is wet though. There are lots of knockoffs and they come in different thicknesses. You can even layer them for more warmth if you get one smaller and one larger size.

I have not had good luck with coated gloves in general. I absolutely hate losing dexterity with bigger and more insulated waterproof gloves. What I usually do is run indoors when the weather is really bad (if it's really cold, I can still run, as long as there's no snow or ice around). Running indoors is much less of an option these days. Hopefully things get better by early next year.

Hey @timrunsalot, though RW doesn't sell them (yet?) I have to put in a plug for Tracksmith's NDO mittens: https://www.tracksmith.com/products/ndo-mittens. They're actually a 2-mitt system, with a soft, fleece inner mitt and a softshell outer mitt and can be used separately for varying conditions or together for cold and windy conditions, plus a liner glove can be worn under for the worst of the worst. I have worn them through Colorado winter, which isn't nearly as brutal as midwest winter (especially when it's dark). Best wishes for warm hands!
Sold out!

Mittens are always better than gloves.

Cheap solution is to wear some old socks over mittens.

Alternative is to use the "hand warmer" packets. These can be reused is you store them in an air-tight plastic bag. They're good for at least 2 runs unless your runs are super long.
I will probably have to do the hand warmers eventually, but I haven’t tried the sock trick yet

I bought a pair of Arcteryx fleece gloves a long time ago and I used these for several years before putting a hole in one of them. They made good driving gloves too. They are useless when it is wet though. There are lots of knockoffs and they come in different thicknesses. You can even layer them for more warmth if you get one smaller and one larger size.

I have not had good luck with coated gloves in general. I absolutely hate losing dexterity with bigger and more insulated waterproof gloves. What I usually do is run indoors when the weather is really bad (if it's really cold, I can still run, as long as there's no snow or ice around). Running indoors is much less of an option these days. Hopefully things get better by early next year.
I lose dexterity if my hands aren’t warm enough! I literally can’t get my key out of my pocket much less unlock my door if my hands are too cold ?

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member

@timrunsalot,

I agree with @imnothammer & @markn. I prefer Mitts in colder weather. Right now, I'm using a hybrid mitt/glove. However, I'm living on the central coast of California. So, I rarely have the opportunity to use it. The last time I did was on a work trip to Boston (it was snowing and cold). The gloves worked perfectly for my run.

Justin
RW Staff