Breatheable shell worth it for running in cold weather?

I have a running jacket but it doesn't breath and this can be a problem in cold weather. Is it worthwhile to get a breatheable shell (these are typically quite expensive and also waterproof) for running or should this stuff be left to hikers and skiers?

I am quite partial to Under Armor Cold Gear. It doesn't look like RW currently has any in stock (I could have sworn they've sold it in the past) but this is worth seeking out.

I have literally had a my UA Cold Gear top since 2002 and it is still in great shape. I finally bit the bullet and bought some leggings this season because I am doing much more mileage than I normally would.

Coupled with some gloves and light overclothes (I wear a bright singlet and shorts over them for visibility) I am fairly comfortable outside for up to three hours. It has only been as low as 20F/-6C so far this season though.

I am quite partial to Under Armor Cold Gear. It doesn't look like RW currently has any in stock (I could have sworn they've sold it in the past) but this is worth seeking out.

I have literally had a my UA Cold Gear top since 2002 and it is still in great shape. I finally bit the bullet and bought some leggings this season because I am doing much more mileage than I normally would.

Coupled with some gloves and light overclothes (I wear a bright singlet and shorts over them for visibility) I am fairly comfortable outside for up to three hours. It has only been as low as 20F/-6C so far this season though.
We mainly have 20s and 30s here and that's about as cold as I go out in. I have clothes to go colder but it would just be easier to use the spin bike. One specific piece I was looking at was:

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/ARCTERYX_Men_Atom_SL_Hoody/descpage-ARSLHM.html

And I was wondering if something like this is worth the $$$ for winter running in 20s to 30s temperatures.

arctyrx is a little pricey for me, but a good shell/ windbreaker will keep your heat in big time. To the point where you’ll overdress a few times till you get dialed in. For me it lets me dress way lighter which makes it worth having

arctyrx is a little pricey for me, but a good shell/ windbreaker will keep your heat in big time. To the point where you’ll overdress a few times till you get dialed in. For me it lets me dress way lighter which makes it worth having
I have an old one from RR sports but it doesn't breathe - it keeps heat in. I have another packable one which I seldom use as it is too thin. I guess that I don't understand the balance between holding heat in and letting it out. I suppose that sometimes you want one and not the other. Some jackets also have zip-open vents and that might be something I can look into.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
We mainly have 20s and 30s here and that's about as cold as I go out in. I have clothes to go colder but it would just be easier to use the spin bike. One specific piece I was looking at was:

https://www.runningwarehouse.com/ARCTERYX_Men_Atom_SL_Hoody/descpage-ARSLHM.html

And I was wondering if something like this is worth the $$$ for winter running in 20s to 30s temperatures.
@movdqa,

This can be a tricky topic. Personally, I think it is worth it. However, the ultimate decision rests on how you feel about your level of comfort vs. the overall price tag. Could you tell me a little more about your specifications? You mentioned Waterproof in the first post. Is that something you'd want the piece to have? Or, are you looking more for a light thermal layer that may have some water resistance?
Thanks!

Justin
RW Staff

@movdqa,

This can be a tricky topic. Personally, I think it is worth it. However, the ultimate decision rests on how you feel about your level of comfort vs. the overall price tag. Could you tell me a little more about your specifications? You mentioned Waterproof in the first post. Is that something you'd want the piece to have? Or, are you looking more for a light thermal layer that may have some water resistance?
Thanks!

Justin
RW Staff
It would not have to be waterproof but I have seen some that are.

I generally don't run in rain unless it's pretty light. I do run in the snow. Today, the wind chill was 21 and I just threw on some stuff, it wasn't enough, so I added a synthetic piece on top and it was perfect. I used the RR jacket and that was fine. But sometimes it's too much when I warm up. So waterproof isn't a must. But like a lot of things, it would be nice to have some water resistance.

It's also possible that I need to spend some time on hiking sites to understand the products and what they do for you.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
It would not have to be waterproof but I have seen some that are.

I generally don't run in rain unless it's pretty light. I do run in the snow. Today, the wind chill was 21 and I just threw on some stuff, it wasn't enough, so I added a synthetic piece on top and it was perfect. I used the RR jacket and that was fine. But sometimes it's too much when I warm up. So waterproof isn't a must. But like a lot of things, it would be nice to have some water resistance.

It's also possible that I need to spend some time on hiking sites to understand the products and what they do for you.
@movdqa,

Thank you for the additional information!

Here is an article our Web Content team put together on choosing a Running Jacket for the rain. It goes into detail about some of the things we are discussing here.

Based on your specifications, I think you could go with a thermal jacket that has either some water-resistant paneling or DWR treatment. Here is one of my favorites that fits that description. The only bummer about the Airshed Jacket is that it doesn't have a hood (Personally, I like having a hood). It is still one of my favorite versatile pieces though. The Arc'Teryx piece you posted earlier is also a solid option. I think it may be a bit warmer than you are looking for. However, it fits the description otherwise. Another jacket to consider would be the Patagonia Air Houdini. However, it may be a little cooler than you'd like.

I hope this helps! Let us know what you end up going with.

Justin
RW Staff

I swear by breathable jackets when running in the cold. Otherwise, you come back with sweaty armpits... and no one likes that. And if you get one that's breathable enough you can wear it on those rainy days as well, so 2 for 1!

Craft makes some really good ones, but anything with a vent in the armpits would be my recommendation. And for reference I live in the very cold north... Minnesota. My morning runs are typically feel temps of 10 F or under.

I wear a long sleeve and short sleeve technical shirt underneath the jacket and I find that's enough for most days. If it goes to -20, I will wear a warm hoodie as well as a jacket on top.