Become an RW Shoe Reviewer! Brought to you by the Hoka Carbon X 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hello TR Community!

It is my pleasure to announce the Talk Running Community reviews. We often receive questions about how runners can become reviewers for us. TR Community Reviews is the answer!

We are going to be giving the Hoka One One Carbon X 2 to a couple TR Community participants for testing. In the future, we will select reviewers based on a number of factors, including message board participation and performance on past reviews. However, since we are just beginning this, we will select the first few reviewers via a review contest. To enter, follow the direction listed below on constructing your review. Your review can be for ANY shoe you are currently running in.

To participate:
  • Write a review using the following template:
    • Background:
      • Shoe you are reviewing
      • Type(s) of runs (if applicable):
      • Your running experience/background:
      • Current shoe/gear rotation:
      • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product?
    • Review:
      • -Comments on shoe performance:
      • -Summary
      • -Likes/Dislikes:
      • -Underfoot feel/experience:
      • -Fit:
      • -General reaction/comments on overall performance:
  • Post your review here in this thread by Jan 1st at 9am Pacific.
  • Winner(s) will be announced on Jan. 8th by 9am Pacific
Please feel free to ask any questions here to help us clarify how this will function.

Want to learn more about the Carbon X 2? Check out our First Look Below:

Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

• Background:
    • Shoe: Brooks Ghost 12
    • Types of runs used for: Long and short easy runs
    • Runner Level: Competitive long-distance runner
    • Currently I cycle between Brooks Ghost 12, Hoka Carbon X, Hoka Rincon, & Altra Escalante 2
    • I run approximately 15-20 of my total mileage in the Brooks Ghost 12.
  • Review:
    • Comments on shoe performance: I enjoy the Brooks Ghost 12 for the fact that it is a relatively light shoe with wider toe box that allows me to complete steady/easy runs with no issue. Although classified as a neutral shoe, I feel that it is sturdy enough where I feel supported and appreciate the overall traction the shoe provided.
    • Summary: Great overall running shoe for easy runs.
    • Likes/Dislikes: Wider toe box, foot feels supported, relatively light-weight
    • Underfoot feel/experience: Feels stable and has pretty good traction for runs in slicker conditions.
    • Fit: Runs a bit small. I normally wear 9.5 or 10 m, depending on shoe. For this shoe I had to re-order a size 10.
    • General reaction/comments on overall performance: Generally, I appreciate the versatility of this shoe and look forward to getting another pair soon.

• Shoe you are reviewing: Hoka Rincon 2
  • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): Easy days, recovery runs, medium runs, long runs.
  • Your running experience/background: 22 years old, Former Division III NCAA runner.
    • Easy days: Rincon 2, Skechers Max Road 4
    • Workouts: Nike Zoom Fly 3, Skechers Razor 3
  • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product: 150 (so far)

• Review:
      • After feeling a bit firm during the break-in period, the Rincon 2 softens up to become a maximal-comfort, yet amazingly lightweight trainer. My favorite aspect of this shoe is its versatility; I can wear it for morning shakeouts when I am plodding along, or up-tempo long runs where I'm nearing tempo-effort at the tail end -- and the shoe feels suitable for any type of run. The ride is soft, but lively - and is aided by a lightweight feel that allows me to pick up the pace with ease. I have around 150mi on this shoe, and despite a large amount of exposed foam on the outsole, I still feel as though it is durable enough for 300-400 miles.
    • -Summary
      • Overall, I would recommend this shoe to anyone who wants a versatile, high stack, daily trainer that can handle any type of run from shakeouts to tempo days.
    • -Likes/Dislikes:
      • I LOVE the weight of this shoe -- it is the X factor for me. The weight is what allows it to be so versatile and so enjoyable as a trainer. My only dislike is the exposed foam on the outsole. Perhaps a rubberized EVA/foam would help cut weight instead of putting a ton of heavy rubber for traction. The outsole forces me to stay on the roads in situations where I might take this shoe to a cinder trail. Rocky surfaces can rip up the outsole quite easily.
      • Max/plush cushioning. Feels like a pillow, but still lively enough to provide good return through my stride. Doesn't feel as squishy as other max-cushion shoes -- still has a bit of "pop" to the ride. Soft enough to jog around in; responsive enough to pick up the pace in.
    • -Fit:
      • True to size for me. No issues with lockdown, no complaints with the toe box. Definitely has a wide landing area.
      • Pleasantly surprised with this shoe. It is the first really high stack trainer that I have run in that doesn't feel like a plodding, easy-day-only shoe.

Last edited:
  • Background:
    • New Balance Fresh Foam Vongo v4
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): any distance for road running
    • Your running experience/background: I have been running since roughly 2015 starting with a 10K. Since then I have become more experienced in the sport and it is the main form of exercise I do. I have run four in person marathons and one more recent virtual marathon. I also have ran roughly 8 half marathons. I did start out as a slower back of the pack type runner but have worked my way further towards the mid to front of the pack depending on races. I very much enjoy the sport and hope to continue to run for many years to come.
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Currently I am running in the New Balance Vongo v4 and Hoka One One Davy’s I use the Cavu’s for shorter distances.
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? I am currently over 120 miles with the Vongo v4
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: initially I was skeptical with the shoe due to style and the hard heel. I had run in the Vongo v2’s before this and enjoyed those a bit more than this but understand how shoe technology does change year to year. It also does not have a separate tongue, it’s one solid mesh form around the foot. I am someone that typically needs a bit more support so the fresh foam does help. I have run 20+ miles on this pair at a time and they have worked quite well. They rebound well and give me good support for someone who isn’t a neutral runner.
    • -Likes/Dislikes: overall I do like the shoe. I get good support and they fit comfortably. I am still not a fan of the one solid mesh around the whole foot though. I much prefer having the tongue separated and something I can adjust to my liking. There is also hard padding in the heel that took some getting used to at first.
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: this is the part I like best about this shoe. The support with the fresh foam is really beneficial and is why I chose them on the first place.
    • -Fit: the fit of this shoe overall is good. In some cases like the solid mesh I do wish I had more ability to fit it to my foot how I’d like but that’s not really possible with this shoe.
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: overall performance for me with the vongo v4 is great. I was able to run virtual marathon in them no problem. They responded well and got me through that distance. I would wear them again for another marathon if their life span doesn’t come to an end before that.

Shoe: Hoka One Bondi 6:
Perfect for all runs from 5ks to marathons. I speed train in nikes, but ONLY wear my Hoka Bondi’s for my half and full marathons. Ive been running for 5 years now. Ill rotate between with nikes next percent and Hokas like I said but will stick to my Hokas for my long distance races. The hokas give you ultimate cushion that makes you feel like you’re on cloud nine, but for some people it could add a bit extra weight. With the Bondi 6 I do 20-40 miles a week and do all types of mileage in them ranging from a 5k to 26.2 miles. The shoes are great on performance. My only dislike is the weight of the shoe. It’s a bit heavier then most because of the cushion therefore speed becomes a factor. The faster you want to become the more of a lightweight shoe you should get. In that area I would highly recommend the Nikes vaporfly next %. The fit is perfect, and there is some bounce. If you’re on your feet a lot besides running these shoes would be perfect for you.

Attachments

• Background:
    • Shoe you are reviewing: Hoka One One Speedgoat 4
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): Trail runs
    • Your running experience/background: 20-25 Ultra events and the same number of marathon/half marathons
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Hoka One One Speedgoat 4, ATR Challenger 6, Clifton 6 (yes, I'm a Hoka nerd)
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product?: 250
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: Great shoes, nice cushion, super...no, awesome grip.
    • -Summary: Would buy again...actually this was my second pair. Hoping the Speedgoat 5s come out in early spring since these pair are nearing the end of the line.
    • -Likes/Dislikes: I like the cushion, how water drains easily, best toe bumper ever.
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: Other than my last race, my feet never get beat up in these.
    • -Fit: I went up from 12.5 to 13 to help with toe splay. Also this is the only pair of shoes I've needed a wide size. They were just too tight across the midfoot for me.
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: 100% recommended for a beefy trail shoe. I fully intend to buy my third pair! Couple minor changes I'd like to see if Karl is listening...a bit lighter weight and a tab on the heel of the shoe (like some Brooks trail shoes) to attach gaiters.

I'm triathlete since 1997.
Nike Pegasus Turbo 2
I like to use this shoes for tempo run, speed run and sometimes long run. I also use it for triathlon races.
I started run in 1994 and never stoped; did several run races from 5km to marathon; my main goal is triathlon races which include running.
Right now, I have 2 Nike Pegasus Turbo 2, one Nike Wild Horse Trail Run Shoes, 1 Nike Flex Experience RN 9, 1 Nike Pegasus 37 and 1 Nike Streak 7. I run around 30 miles per week and I rotate shoes.

Nike Pegasus Turbo 2 is a great shoes for fast run; the Zoom system allow fast response and also good absorb the impact. The shoes is light and the fit is true to the size. The shoes doesn't last too long, I would replace it with about 350 miles and maximum 400 miles to avoid injuries.
I recommend this shoes for beginners and experienced athletes.

• Background:
    • Shoe you are reviewing: Pegasus 37
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): Tempo, Interval, Long days, Easy
    • Your running experience/background: Competitive runner 7 years; Current times: 1600m-4:30,3200m-10:00,5k-15:57,10k-34:30. Typical training paces are 4’50 a mile for fast workouts - 7’30 a mile on recovery days.
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Pegasus 37, Boston 7, Zoom Victory XC
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? 433 miles
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: Very high quality, and very versatile. Able to do so many different kinds of runs and does a great job at them. Very durable and no hot spots or anything.
    • -Summary: Amazing all-around daily trainer. Whether you're doing a long run, recovery day, or a workout, this shoe will do just fine in it.
    • -Likes/Dislikes: Likes: Amazing snug Fit, Responsive, Cushioned, Extremely Durable, Multi Terrain outsole, and Versatile; Dislikes: A little heavy, thin tongue, not very breathable
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: It’s very soft and cushioned at easier paces but due to the Air Zoom Unit picking up paces is easy and definitely helps with responsiveness.
    • -Fit: True to size, gusseted tongue for great lockdown, no heel slipping, great snug feel
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: Great performance for every run, not amazing or excels at one thing, but great at everything. Very happy with it. If anyone had to ask me for one shoe to recommend, or if there was one shoe I would have to run in, I would not hesitate to say the Pegasus 37.
    • AEA8E6D5-B22F-4023-A835-5C0E083A20C8.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Background:
    • Shoe you are reviewing: Asics Novablast
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): Daily Training/Speed/Long Runs
    • Your running experience/background: I am 35 years old, a dad to a 1 year old and I have been running for roughly 9 years, with a focus on marathons. I have completed 20 marathons with a PR of 3:05.

I would consider myself to be a shoe geek and you can ask any of my running friends, they ask me before they buy a shoe… since I can give them all the details and why they should or should not get it. And everyone says I have too many shoes, but it’s hard to say no to a great running shoe!

• Daily trainers: Asics Novablast, Hoka One One Clifton 6, Nike Epic React Flyknit2
      • Tempo Day: Saucony Endorphin Speed, Hoka One One Carbon X, Saucony Endorphin Pro, Nike Pegasus Turbo
      • Long Run: Saucony Endorphin Speed, Nike Pegasus Turbo, Asics Novablast
      • Race Day: Nike Alphafly Next%, Nike Next%,
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? Exactly 198.2 Miles. =)
  • Review:
Look, I am a running shoe geek, no doubt about it. I tend to buy the latest and the greatest, but only if it has a purpose in my arsenal. I love my slower easy day shoes and finding a shoe that allows things to feel easy and goes easy on my knees…. But also allows me to pick it up when I want to is hard to find.

I love my Cliftons and generally always run in them for daily miles… but they can be a tad mushy at times, and they don’t really bounce back. Enter the Novablast. It is cushy, but bounces back at you right when you want it to.

Weight wise, the Novablast can be considered to be a little heavy by some... But for a daily trainer it’s the perfect weight combination.
I’ve tested thing through pretty much every condition. The hot summer months, grinding up and down hills, rainy and slick conditions of the fall, to the harsh cold and snowy winter of Minnesota. It has gone through the paces and still has so much left to give. I think that’s what surprised me most about this shoe. Every time I put it on it still feels fresh! And I’ll be honest.... Asics is not the first brand I would try; in fact this is the first Asics I have ever bought. But it will not be the last.
    • -Summary:
      If you want a dependable daily trainer that can pick up the pace when you do, look no further. Hell, I even took this shoe for some 800m repeats and it performed like a champ. So, I would consider this the “I can do everything shoe”. And at $130, you can’t go wrong.
    • -Likes/Dislikes:
      • Dislikes: The colorway I have (Blue), the lockdown
As mentioned above, this is cushy yet responsive. My foot feels cradled and babied while also being pushed to go a little faster. The stability is questionable at times, but not noticeable after a few minutes. Breathability is solid, my feet are not freezing in the winter or too hot in the summer.
    • -Fit:
      • The tongue slides around on me during the run, so a better lockdown would be clutch for the next iteration. Otherwise, this shoe fits like a glove and is true to size. And I have big feet… so the struggle is real with shoes and fit. Size 13!
      • You can’t go wrong with this shoe. Simply one of the best releases by Asics in a long time, and a game changer for the company. I always find myself reaching for the Novablast, and I can’t miss those bright orange candy like laces. LOL.

• Background:
    • Shoe you are reviewing - hoka gaviota

• Type(s) of runs (if applicable): some trails, mostly road
    • Your running experience/background: college runner, 5 days a week mid mileage now
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: ASICS Gt, hoka Clifton 5 and gaviota
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? 250
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: I liked the fit. But when they started to wear down it seemed like the shoe was starting to cave in. Could be my gait
    • -Summary
    • -Likes/Dislikes: I liked the fit. I don’t like the fit of the new line. They wear down very fast
    • -Fit: good
    • I am pleased

Review: Brooks Ghost 12

Type of run: Primarily road runs. Distances vary, but anywhere from 5k to 26.2 miles currently within my training load.

Running experience: I am an avid runner who has participated in and completed several events over the course of the last ten years. I currently average around 30 miles per week, but have been known to push beyond this self-imposed goal. I am currently training for my second marathon in conjunction with a half sprinkled in for fun a month prior to. I have my eyes set on an ultra within the next year, although the thought of it scares me to death.

Shoe rotation: Primarily the Brooks Ghost 12 is my daily shoe. Also included within my arsenal are a pair of Nike Zoom Vomero 14s, Brooks Pure Connect 3, and New Balance Fresh Foam Vongos, Brooks Cascadia 13s.

Current mileage: I have logged approximately 225 miles with the Brooks Ghost 12s.

I have enjoyed Brooks for several years now. I resisted the temptation as a younger man in favor of more flashy footwear. That is until, on a leap of faith, I purchased my first pair of Brooks. Simply put, the shoe is as solid as it comes. It will not fail you, regardless of your skill level, distance goals, age, or weight. Ample cushioning makes the shoe a comfortable ride for longer runs without feeling too bulky. However, the shoe is versatile enough to serve as an option on race days. My favorite feature of the Brooks Ghost 12 is the fit. It fits true to size, with no real surprises. The feel is secure without being restrictive. Even as the mileage piles up on your long day, the Brooks Ghost 12 is a comforting reminder that “yes you can finish.” I have been most pleased with my latest pair and run with complete confidence in my shoe of choice. This, in turn, fuels my desire to keep pushing.

• Background:
    • Shoe being reviewed: Nike React Miler
    • Type(s) of runs: Daily runs, long runs
    • My running experience/background: Starting running 6 years ago as a freshman in high school. I've been running since then, and I currently run cross country and track and field at a DIII NCAA college.
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Nike React Miler and React Infinity Run Flyknit for daily running and long runs, Nike Zoom Fly 3 for tempo days and workouts. Recently ran in Asics Gel Kayano 25 and 26.
    • Miles ran with the product (approx.): 170 (so far)
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: Very good at what it is made for. This shoe is designed to be a workhorse/daily trainer that can be used for long runs that keeps your feet and legs from feeling too worn out after, and it does this very well. The react foam is great at this. The shoe can handle some tempo days if needed, but with it being on the heavier side and not designed with energy return as a focal point this is not an ideal shoe for tempo work.
    • -Summary: Great daily trainer and long run shoe with a comfortable fit and snug lockdown, midsole ride is very smooth and works well with a variety of different types of foot strike/landing, making this a good option for almost anyone. With the way the outsole rubber is set up and with the resilience of the react foam, I expect it to last between 500-600 miles.
    • -Likes: Very good lockdown, very comfortable ride with some good cushion, surprisingly stable. Also listed at $130 which is a pretty good price but you can easily find pairs for much less now, making this an affordable option as well.
    • -Dislikes: Not very breathable, I don't like the coarse feel of the laces (which is a bit of a nit-pick), a little heavy for a long run shoe in general but not as heavy as the Asics shoes I've used in the past so I did not really notice too much of a difference.
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: Very smooth and works well for almost any type of foot strike/landing. If you heal lead/strike, the shoe is resilient in the heal and has a bit of a rocker feel to it. If you mid-foot lead/strike it gives good cushion leads to a very natural toe-off. If you forefoot lead/strike there is just enough energy return to propel you into the next stride while providing good cushion.
    • -Fit: True to size, a little narrow in the middle of the foot but leaves a decent amount of room in the toe-box.
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: Very fun and smooth ride, I've enjoyed this shoe a lot. It gives my feet and legs cushion that I never had while primarily using the Asics Kayano line-up while providing a good amount of stability so that I don't have to worry about rolling an ankle very much. It's a great workhorse shoe for almost anyone.

Hello TR Community!

It is my pleasure to announce the Talk Running Community reviews. We often receive questions about how runners can become reviewers for us. TR Community Reviews is the answer!

We are going to be giving the Hoka One One Carbon X 2 to a couple TR Community participants for testing. In the future, we will select reviewers based on a number of factors, including message board participation and performance on past reviews. However, since we are just beginning this, we will select the first few reviewers via a review contest. To enter, follow the direction listed below on constructing your review. Your review can be for ANY shoe you are currently running in.

To participate:
    • Background:
      • Shoe you are reviewing
    • Review:
      • -Summary
      • -Likes/Dislikes:
      • -Fit:
Please feel free to ask any questions here to help us clarify how this will function.

Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff
Hello TR Community!

To participate:
    • Background:
      • Shoe you are reviewing
    • Review:
      • -Summary
      • -Likes/Dislikes:
      • -Fit:

Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff
Hello! This is Raymund from Austin, TX and I've been running since 2010.
Review Summary:
  • Background:
    • Shoe Review: Saucony Endorphin Pro
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): Races from the 10K to the Marathon distance
    • Your running experience/background: I started running in 2010 (at 35yrs old) doing casual 5K's and feel in love with the sport. I gradually, increased my distance to 10K, 10-Mile, and Half-Marathon training and entering races. Finally in 2013, I trained for my 1st marathon. Fast forward to 2020, I have done 14 marathons, qualified and ran the Boston Marathon twice (2019 and 2020). Running is now part of my life.
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Saucony Endorphin Pro, Saucony Endorphin Speed, Saucony Kinvara 10, Skechers GOrun Razor 3 Hyper, Skechers GOrun Ride 8 Hyper, Skechers GO Run Max Road 4 and Adidas Adizero Boston 9.
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? Saucony Endorphin Pro (80.1 miles), Saucony Endorphin Speed (32.7 miles), Saucony Kinvara 10 (295 miles), Skechers GOrun Razor 3 Hyper (194.9 miles), Skechers GO Run Max Road 4 (370 miles) and Adidas Adizero Boston 9 (101 miles).
  • Review: Saucony Endorphin Pro
    • -Comments on shoe performance: This is my new favorite marathon racing shoes. The combination of the PWRRUN PB foam and the carbon plate makes me run faster with the right cushion feel that is not a marshmallow feeling. The energy return is great and the speedroll technology helps a lot in propelling me forward in a race pace setting efficiently. Plus it offers a lot of protection in the underfoot for long distances such as the marathon.
    • -Summary : It has all the right combination of light weight, high-level cushioning, great energy return, responsiveness on a carbon plated race shoe. And Saucony added a speedroll technology (with a rockered design) to help you moving forward comfortably at race pace.
    • -Likes/Dislikes: Likes = The light weight cushioning of the PWRRUN PB foam working with the carbon plate, very responsive, a lot of underfoot protection. Dislikes = A bit narrow even if you do a half-size up and very little support. Miles will tell how long the hard rubber will last before digging to the foam.
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: This shoe offers a lot of protection with its stack height and cushioning. It felt good on the feet when I did 10K race and a full marathon distance on them. They sure do feel fast when picking up your paces.
    • -Fit: The fit is just a bit on the narrow side although the upper material does stretch a bit. On race day, I like my shoes a little snug.
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: Overall, I did love my experience running on the Saucony Endorphin Pro. I did manage to run a 10K race, 10 Mile race and a Marathon for this review. The responsiveness and protection I felt on faster paces such as a 10K and a 10 Mile race was the same experience I had during the marathon (although at a slower pace). This will be a favorite come race day.

• Background:
    • Shoe you are reviewing: Atreyu Running Company- standard issue colorway
    • Type(s) of runs (if applicable): easy/recovery short and long distances...speed sessions
    • Your running experience/background: been running for 4-5years now, avg. 60mpw, training for first marathon (TBD)
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: atreyu base model, nike structure 22, adios 5, boston 7, endorphin pro, vaporfly fk
    • Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? ~200mi so far, could hold up for maybe another ~50miles before retiring it
  • Review:
    • -Comments on shoe performance: can be used for any types of runs; easy/recovery- short to long distances, fast/speed day shoe. very pleased with how the shoes performed at different paces. this shoe is versatile and gets the job done! great on the roads.
    • -Summary- not much tech into a shoe can be a great thing. i believe atreyu succeeded in this model. the upper is strong and is still holding up for the amount of miles i put in it, no holes. the exposed eva rubber does take a hit approx after 40miles. it shows the wear pattern of your footstrike, but i feel it doesn't affect the overall ride/performance.
    • -Likes/Dislikes: all white shoes looks sooooo nice! like the affordable price, minimalistic feel, simple shoe. dislike the sqeeky sounds it makes. this happens from the friction/rubbing with the tongue and inside plastic sidewall. doesn't happened all the time, but it gets annoying when it starts. another dislike- the long laces
    • -Underfoot feel/experience: ive only used these on the roads and light trail. definitely has enough cushion to absorb the impact. legs dont feel beat up the next day after wearing these. very smooth/transition ride. works for all foot strikers!
    • -Fit: true to size, i wear size 10 in all my trainers and these fit just like the rest (about thumb-width space just how i like my fit)
    • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: i was confused with this shoe on my first run. is it a racing flat? is it a lightweight everyday trainer? it didn't matter after several runs. if i needed something for an easy run, i can grab these. if i needed something for a long run, i can grab these. no races to test these out, but i used these for speed sessions and i believe id grab these for race days 5k-10k. ((upcoming release of the artist would be great for half-marathon and up))
    • 16083290348432766003704154811425.jpg

Last edited:
New Balance Fuelcell 5280
Best for the fastest running a distance runner will ever do.

I have ran on the road and the track in this shoe.

I am a competitive high school senior at the state level. I train 7 days a week in a typical training cycle.

I mainly rotate between the Infinity for easy/long miles, and the VF Next% or Saucony Endorphin Pro for faster workouts depending on the day. I also use the 5280 for my very fast intervals now.

Though I have only run just over 20 miles total in the 5280, I have gotten a very good feel for what it can do.

Review:
The performance of the 5280 truly shows when you are giving it your all. It starts to feel decent at paces of mid 5s per mile, but it really begins to feel exciting when you dip bellow a 5min/mile pace or even better: low 4s.

I really like how the shoe helps you to keep going fast even once fatigue has begun. I’ve done some 400 repeats where I was able to keep on driving ahead even though I was very tired. It has a particularly snappy ride and a solid fit.

One of the drawbacks to the 5280 however would be its very odd lacing: the laces are super short and difficult to tie without putting too much pressure on the tops of my feet. The outsole/midsole design is so specific to a certain type of running form at a certain pace that it can’t be used for anything (thus the low mileage I have recorded). It is actually physically uncomfortable to run much slower than 5min/mile in this shoe which really puts a damper on what races it is suitable for. The odd shape of the midsole also has potential to cause issues for anyone who doesn’t supinate since it is designed to speed up the gait cycle.

Conclusion:
The NB Fuelcell 5280 is a very niche shoe that does a very good job at very fast paces. It is not for any runner as it is only suitable to competitive paces and the form of a forefoot supinator. Once you get up to speed though, it is a very fun and snappy ride. Unless you want to spend $200 on a shoe you can only run very specific miles in however, I can’t recommend the New Balance Fuelcell 5280. The things that make it great create drawbacks that can only be justified by being a very fast middle distance road runner.

Shoe: Arahi 3
Types of run: rotating between street runs and treadmill runs ranging from 3 to 5 miles 5x a week.

Running experience/background: I am a relatively new runner in my mid-30s. I have gone from zero running experience to running a 10K last year. I have focused on running shorter runs but running more consistently.

Current Rotation: Clifton 5, Rincon 1, and Arahi 3.

I track my running on Strava, and have run 330 miles with my Arahi.

As a new runner, it was really important for me to have the correct shoe because while I was working on my running form, I didn’t want to have to worry about blisters from poor footwear. The Arahi is great because even though it is light weight, it still has cushion and support. It is true to size and has a secure fit without being too constrictive. Aesthetics are also important to me, and the look of the shoe is very chic. It is by far my favorite of my rotation.

Shoe: Montrail FKT Lite

Background:
Types of Run: Wet Streets, Track, Grass, Rocky Trails
Running Experience/Background: Former D3 collegiate sprinter/hurdler. Current running coach. Training 5 days a week for hurdles/800m.
Current Rotation: New Balance Fresh Foam Zante Pursuit, Adidas SL20, FKT Lite
Mileage: 100m (Trail runs, Speedwork on wet track and pavement)

Review:
  • Performance: The FKT Lite is LIGHT and VERSATILE. As a long sprinter looking to transition into more speed endurance and trail running, I was pleasantly surprised with how fast these feel on foot.
  • -Summary: This shoe excels in rainy conditions and uneven terrain. If you like a close to the ground feel with just the right touch of firm cushion, this shoe is for you.
  • -Likes/Dislikes: First the not-so-good. These shoes run small and narrow. I normally wear 11.5 but sized down to an 11. I also have narrow feet but these were tight; almost a bit painful at first. However, as I ran more the fabric stretched out and now they fit like a glove! (in a good way). Now the good! These shoes are resilient. There's no worse feeling than slipping on a wet track or pavement while doing speed work. Lucky for me and you, the traction is top-notch, large grooves help you grip on rocky trails, wet tracks and pavement, and grassy hills. I wouldn't recommend longer runs of over 15-20 miles on pavement as the cushion does feel a bit firm. However, that firm forefoot also keeps your feet stable on the trails. Another plus, when running in the wet your feet will stay dry! The upper is surrounded by a rubber-like toe cap which keeps away water. The upper material also does a pretty good job of repelling water.
  • Underfoot feel/experience: This shoe provides close-to-the-ground feel with just enough cushion for longer trail runs. It can also excel in high intensity speed work. A low stack height is matched with just the right amount of firm cushion without making the shoe too stiff. If you're looking for Boost, Fresh Foam, React, well you've come to the wrong party. Feels similar to the NB 1400v6 if it was upgraded for trail.
  • -Fit: Narrow and half a size small.
  • -General reaction/comments on overall performance: Put it to the test and this shoe will deliver rain or shine. I completed a 16 mile trail run with over 3,500 feet of gain, ran 200m repeats on a rainy day, and took it on tempo work throughout parks and the FKT ate it up. It may take a week to break in, but the FKT is FTW (for the win) in my book.

Last edited:
Hoka One One Arahi 4
Long runs easy before you a short runs
Background in 5000m and 10000m racing as well as triathlon.
Hoka One One Arahi 4 1
800miles

The shoe is great for runners who need support and over pronation correction. I like it and have put about 800miles in the shoe amongst two pairs. I’m could use a bit more cushioning. The weight considering it is a support shoe is very good. The grip on the bottom is good for road running and also running in the trails. I also ran a lot on ice and the shoes held up very well. The out sole has held up very well. The upper is nice. It is breathable but not so thin that your feet freeze on cold runs. The lockdown is not great. I find my self running about 100m than stopping to re-tie the shoes. The shoes is pretty wide so if you have a very narrow foot, it may feel a bit sloppy so maybe go half a size down. there is a small piece of fabric near the toe that comes loose after about 50miles and it may because you blistered until you are used to it. The upper also got a few holes in it but hat is because I ran in them a ton. Overall, I would recommend these shoes. However I would order two sizes so you can see which size you like and return the other one.

As I am only 14, I think you should select me to sample the Carbon X2 because I could give you feedback that only a young aspiring runners could give you. I run a ton. A mix of intervals, long runs, easy runs, tempo runs, and Farrell sessions. In conclusion, I think that I could bring something that not a lot of people can bring. I hope you consider me when choosing who you will send the Carbon X2.

Background:
Shoes: New Balance 1080v10
Type(s) of runs: Road Easy run, Long Run
Your running experience/background:
I started running seriously in 2015 and became a running shoe enthusiast in 2018. I focus on half marathon distance (PR 1:32) and full marathon distance (PR 3:29). I also have experience in road ultramarathon(50km,60km and 102km).

Current shoe/gear rotation: Razor 3, Fuelcell Propel, FF 1080 V10
Approximately, how many miles did you run with the product? 84 miles
Review:
-Comments on shoe performance:
The shoe performs well on easy run, long run and medium pace run. It has enough balance of softness and responsiveness. Very comfortable on easy days and responsive enough when pushing the pace a little bit.
Upper:
I would say that Hypoknit is my favorite upper. It follows the shape of my foot. It has enough stretch but holds the foot well. The breathability is also good. I havent experience any hot spot and my foot stays dry over a 2 hour long run. To put it in a perspective, Ilive in a tropical country and do most of my run early morning.

Midsole/Ride:
The 1080 v10 has high stack of Fresh Foam X (FFX) . This FFX is more forgiving and responsive than the ordinary FF. It has a good balance of softness and responsiveness. It reminds me of the underfoot feel of vomero 10. Vomero 10 is my favoirte long run shoe back then and I may say that the 1080 v10 has replaced it as my top long run shoe.

The 1080 v10 has good rocker feel. It is not as aggressive as the carbon x but it give a nice roll through the gait cycle. The 1080v10 is good for easy miles but it will respond once you push the pace. It is a light weight long run shoe(8.6 oz, US mens size 7.5). This shoe will provide comfort from short easy run where you need that soft feel up to long run (>2 hr) without the feel of midsole sucking your foot.

-Summary
-Likes/Dislikes:

+Freah foam X provides good underfoot protection and cushion.
+Smoot transistion because of the rockered midsole

Dislikes
-The blown rubber outsole shows visible wear after 80 miles.

-Underfoot feel/experience:
It reminds me of vomero 10. The FFX is very comfortable during long runs. It doesnt have the sucking in feel despite the amount of stack in the midsole. The FFX in 1080 v10 provides a good balance of comfort during easy run and responsiveness during medium pace run.
-Fit:
It fits true to size. I have a wide feet but the hypoknit upper is stretchable enough to conform on the shape of my foot without being unstable. It holds the foot very well.
-General reaction/comments on overall performance:
The new balance FF 1080 v10 is a real winner for me. Pegasus turbo/turbo 2, fuelcell TC are my favorite trainers and the 1080v10 are in the same level of those shoes despite being the heaviest among them. I really recommend it for those people that are looking for a very versatile shoe.

• Background:
    • Shoe: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20
    • Type(s) of runs: Easy Runs, Everyday Trainer, Long Run
    • Running background: 4-year high school XC and Track runner, Collegiate commit
    • Current shoe/gear rotation: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 20 paired with Brooks Ravenna 11
    • Approximate mileage on Shoe: ~300 miles
  • Review:
For someone like me who suffers from plantar fasciitis and needs correction for overpronation, this shoe is perfect. It is a little on the heavier side at 10.02 oz in Men’s size 9, which is why I tend to use this only for slower to moderate runs and try to avoid using it for tempo, threshold or interval runs. At 300 miles the outsole is holding up very well. The traction is still just like it was when I bought it. The midsole also is holding up well showing only a few creases in the foam. The upper is amazingly comfortable and fits true to size, though it could depend on those who have a wider or more narrow foot. This shoe has helped ease the plantar fasciitis pain and correct my gait. My favorite thing about this shoe is the cushioning and comfortable upper along with the 12 mm drop since I am a heel striker. My only dislike is that the shoe is on the heavier side, but that is what you get with a max stability shoe, so it is a trade off that I am willing to make. The underfoot feel is slightly firm at first, but after a couple runs it did soften up and did have a more cushioned feel to it, though still having a moderately firm ride. I would say it has a good balance between a cushioned and firm ride. As I said earlier, the fit is true to size, barring some extreme exceptions. Overall, this is a great shoe for those who want a smooth ride with the added stability for those who need correction in overpronation.

Status
Not open for further replies.