ASICS and Durability

srvnvly

Runner
I currently wear the GT 2000 9s, but am noticing they are wearing quickly. After clicking the different models and reading reviews, the Cumulus seems to only mention durability as a feature. I normally look in the stability category and the Cumulus is listed as a ‘neutral daily trainer.’ I’ve never worn the Cumulus, so I’m curious on your thoughts on comfort, durability and stability, especially if you’ve worn both.

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Srvnvly,

I am sorry to hear that your GT 2000 9s are wearing quickly. Regarding your inquiry about the Cumulus, I wore the new 23 and found them to be durable. It's important to note that the durability of shoes can be affected by several factors like material, terrain, running style, mileage, etc. I put roughly 80 miles on them while testing them on the road and track, seeing no noticeable signs of wear. Although, the softness of the midsole did seem to firm up over time. I also am a more neutral runner but I found that the Cumulus had a really nice level of inherent stability. A better option could be the Kayano 28, which offers good durability with the benefit of a more robust stability package. Ben is one of our testers and has worn all three (Cumulus, Kayano, GT 2000) and the Cumulus was his highest rated shoe between those options. That said, if the outsole is what is breaking down in your GT 2000's, all those models feature some version of the ASICS High Abrasion Rubber (AHAR) outsole. The Kayano has full-length AHAR, the GT has a combination of AHAR (forefoot) and AHAR+ (heel), and the Cumulus has full-length AHAR+, so the Cumulus should have the most durable outsole of the three.

Best,

Kaleb
RW Staff

Last edited: