Looking for 1 on 1 Cross country Coaching

Melissa

Hi I am looking for someone to work with my daughter. She is 14 and has been running consistently for 4 years. She has been running with a club and was running with Laguna Middle before Covid. Cate wants to be ready for her Freshman year at SLO high and wants to train harder and more frequently than the club can offer. Her goal is to run cross country in college. I am looking for someone to work with her on a regular on going basis. If you are a coach or know a good coach please email me tuckermelca@gmail.com
Thank you ! Melissa

imnothammer

You may want to consider reaching out to local running stores to see if they offer any training. I have worked with both local and online coaches, trying to run a Boston qualifying marathoning time, and local coaches can be better if you need more 1:1 contact (form analysis, group runs, etc...). Online coaches can be a mixed bag and can sometimes be wildly overpriced. At the very least a local shop may be able to point you in the direction of a local coach who can work with your daughter.

If you're looking for an online coach you may want to send a message to the folks at Brooksee. They predominantly offer marathon and half-marathon coaching but I have been really impressed with one of their coaches (Paul Carmona) who has been incredibly responsive and has very reasonable rates. Alternatively the folks at McMillan Running may be the go-to. I have not used their services but they were one of the front runners when I was doing my research into online coaches. They offer broad services (including 5k coaching) so they may be worth contacting.

Finally you will often hear from people that a coach is completely unnecessary and while I disagree with it, to an extent, it is true. There are plenty of great books available that offer easy to follow plans to get you to where you need to be. Even still, I value a coach for feedback and accountability (it is much harder to skip days on high mileage weeks if you know someone is watching) so don't let those naysayers dissuade you if you think a coach's guidance is needed..

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi I am looking for someone to work with my daughter. She is 14 and has been running consistently for 4 years. She has been running with a club and was running with Laguna Middle before Covid. Cate wants to be ready for her Freshman year at SLO high and wants to train harder and more frequently than the club can offer. Her goal is to run cross country in college. I am looking for someone to work with her on a regular on going basis. If you are a coach or know a good coach please email me tuckermelca@gmail.com
Thank you ! Melissa

Hi @Melissa,

Thank you for reaching out!

I'm tagging in @Joe here. He has deep connections (being a renowned coach himself) in the coaching community here in SLO. He can probably help direct you.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you ! Melissa

Hey there Melissa,

If she's running with Jim of the Roo Rats, he's had an excellent record of doing the right amount of work to get local JRHS runners ready for HS. 2 examples would be Jordan Hasay (Mission Prep - Oregon) and Samantha Camacho (Templeton - OK State) both of whom he guided from a young age. Tyler who coaches at Laguna works hand in hand with Adam the head coach at SLOHS so they have a solid progression in place to get kids from Laguna to SLOHS.

My daughter ran for Laguna and frankly wasn't very good, she improved as a freshman at SLOHS but wasn't varsity material. She got consistent and without any prompting from her parents, she got out the door to run most everyday and as a result, she blossomed as a soph being one of the top 2 distance runners on the girl's side of things with Shaylee. My daughter is now is one of the top runners in the county and section. She recently signed with Oregon St on an academic and athletic scholarship to run for them. I believe Shaylee will be running for Fresno State and Garrett the top boy on the team will be running for Southern Oregon. The SLOHS program has a long history of sending kids off to college to run - she's in good hands. She also has 4 years to get there - plenty of time.

My advice is be patient at this point, have fun with it and not take it too seriously. If she catches the bug, she'll get the work in on her own and she'll be on her way.

Good luck. Hope to see you at a meet soon.

Joe