unusual wear pattern

Usually, uneven and asymmetrical wear of running shoes is as a result of gait. I actually don’t see your photo, but I think I can answer the question based off of what you described. Your issue I don’t think can be fixed by any sort of special shoe. Since the wear is especially on your left heel, I’d expect that you are exerting more force on your left side than right side in a heel strike. Though I don’t heel strike personally, many people can make it work and still run rather well. What your problem likely is has to do with an asymmetrical foot-strike. I had a very similar problem but in the forefoot a couple of years ago. I was a big time toe runner and my shoes didn’t last very long at all. Since pressure equals force divided by area, a smaller landing area results in an increased pressure. So, so address the heel issue, you could work to maybe decrease your heel strike just a little bit so you are closer to the midfoot. The fact that the wear pattern is mostly on the left, that means that you are hitting the ground harder with that leg. This issue is a little bit harder to fix and may result in certain overuse injuries in the future. This also happened to me quite recently as I was overusing my right leg. The fix for this in my case was learning to run with a slightly wider stance (not too wide, just no longer crossing over). Since I haven’t seen you run, I can’t say for certain that this is your definite problem, but it would be my best educated guess. To really find out, ask someone you know to watch you and video you running from different angles. Sometimes what the body is doing and what we think it is doing are two different things. This is how you would take the chance for incorrect feeling out of the equation. I know that’s quite a bit and may be a little over-worded, but I hope this helps. Good luck, and I hope you figure it all out!

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
You might have 1 leg longer than the other which is not uncommon. Often times you'll see customers in retail with 1 leg that overpronates and the other that under-pronates which tends to indicate a leg length difference. This leads to uneven wear patterns. There's not special shoes designed for people who experience this, you just need to be aware that one leg will tend to have more injuries than the other and purchase the type of shoes to keep the more injury prone leg healthy.

Joe