Training with job, wife and kids

Hey Guys,

I just wanted to get your opinion on the best training programme for folks working a 40+ hour week, with a spouse and small kid?

I found a post from Joe on an old thread on Letsrun, where he suggested the following:

Easy run + strides

Hilly run

Short reps (Fartlek, hills,200-400's etc.)

Moderate/steady run

Easy run or rest (whatever it takes to recover)

Tempo/Long Intervals

Long run

Throw in a race every now and then.

Would you still suggest this for a guy like me?

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
Joe here, it really depends on your goals. If it's PR's, that's much different than getting out the front door to maintain your sanity or maybe it's something in between. Let me know and I can throw a few ideas out there. For a frame of reference and this program is NOT suggested for anyone, just what I did:

In the mid 90's I was training for the Oly Trials marathon at 100+ MPW, was full time in grad school, just bought a house, was an owner in a small business. I made it work, but if it was me advising the younger me, I'd suggest what I mentioned to my daughters and to my athletes today - you can do 3 things effectively.

Let me know what your goals are with your running.

Joe

Hey Joe,

I hear you on only being able to do 3 things effectively: It's something I also realized through much trial and error. So for me that is family, work and running.

I'm a runner of modest talent (17:58 5k, 37:4x 10k, 58:4x 15k) and the big goal would to be able to run a Sub 3 marathon. My first marathon was in the 3:20's a couple of year ago and my second was a 3:09 in January this year (going for a sub 3:10).

I guess the idea with the running is to stay healthy and be consistent and to work towards the Sub 3.

I try to get in 8 hours+ of sleep, so I've got about 90 minutes maximum to train in the mornings during the week. I usually use about 20-25 of that for dynamic warmups and strength. So probably 60-70 minutes a day for running during the week. I've got more time on the weekend (I don't have to be at work by 8AM :) ). I'm comfortable running every day and about 8-9 hours a week. I'm 32 now and have been running for 8 years. The only "restriction" on my training each week is that I jog a very easy hour with a slower friend of mine on Mondays. Otherwise I'm open to any suggestions.

Part of the problem over the years has been wanting to try too many different workouts and weekly structures and never settling on anything. I think it would be best for me to get on a plan and stick with it (see it through).

What would you suggest?

Joe

Administrator
Staff member
I'd work on my 5k/10k times for 8-12 weeks, then switch to a marathon focus for 8 or so weeks followed by a 2 week taper into the marathon.

Given your week, I'd suggest doing what we do here given all of my athletes work full time is to do a mid week primary workout and another on Saturday followed by a mid week longer run and a weekend long run, plus a real easy day each week. So something like this:

Mon: Easy recovery run with your buddies
Tues: Easier 60 min run
Wed: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Thur: Mid week longer run 70-90 min - pace increases for the last half as fitness increases
Fri: Easier 60 min run
Sat: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Sun: Long, easy run working towards this being a primary marathon specific run as the marathon approaches in place of the Saturday primary workout.

Joe

I'd work on my 5k/10k times for 8-12 weeks, then switch to a marathon focus for 8 or so weeks followed by a 2 week taper into the marathon.

Given your week, I'd suggest doing what we do here given all of my athletes work full time is to do a mid week primary workout and another on Saturday followed by a mid week longer run and a weekend long run, plus a real easy day each week. So something like this:

Mon: Easy recovery run with your buddies
Tues: Easier 60 min run
Wed: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Thur: Mid week longer run 70-90 min - pace increases for the last half as fitness increases
Fri: Easier 60 min run
Sat: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Sun: Long, easy run working towards this being a primary marathon specific run as the marathon approaches in place of the Saturday primary workout.

Joe

As a fellow busy-person (two hours of my day is spent commuting) my only sage advice is that time is a resource. There are only 24 hours in a day and you can only do so much. I suppose this echoes Joe's "you can only do three things effectively".

But, jumping back to time as a resource, it is helpful take stock of how much time you will need to devote to a given workout. If I need to run 8 miles on a weekday I know I will need about an hour and fifteen minutes for the warm-up and the run. From there it's just a matter of figuring out how to drop that uninterrupted block of time into my schedule. Sometimes doing so really, really, really sucks... waking up at 4:30AM or going to the gym to run on the treadmill at 9PM.

Good luck!