The Long Run - what’s your shoe of choice?

As I’m looking for a shoe for long run days, interested in what folks are using right now. Especially since long run shoes can be a little personal for everyone depending on what each person is looking for in a shoe to go the distance. What do you care about most? Cushion? Upper? Right now it’s Boston 8 for me.

I've yet to find something I like better than Mizuno Wave Riders for a slow, long-run. I have found that those always provide a nice soft, stable ride.

I recently just put about 500 miles on a pair of Nike Pegasus 37's and was thoroughly unexcited by them. To be sure, they got the job done, but the cushioning was a bit too stiff for my liking. I also had some gripes about the upper as it didn't seem to breathe well and on long runs it retained moisture, simultaneously the upper felt just a bit too minimal and my feet just never really felt locked into the ride.

I just bought a pair of Saucony Endorphin Shifts and took them out for the last long run (22 miles) of my current training cycle. These are wildly different than anything I have run in before. Pretty big stack height and this really funky forward roll feeling that I am still getting used too. It definitely keeps me from being lazy and settling in on my heels as I get tired.

Long Run Faster Effort : Nike Zoom Fly Flyknit (1/2 size down, no insole). Still tough to beat this shoe for training. React foam, full-length plate.

Long Run Easy Run: New Balance Beacon V2. Very Smooth and comfortable.

As I’m looking for a shoe for long run days, interested in what folks are using right now. Especially since long run shoes can be a little personal for everyone depending on what each person is looking for in a shoe to go the distance. What do you care about most? Cushion? Upper? Right now it’s Boston 8 for me.
Used to be Boston for me, Asics Dynaflyte prior to that and Adidas Ultraboost followed. Currently it's New Balance Fuelcell Propel, which is a great, all-around, do-anything shoe for me: simple, light, plush, somewhat responsive and flexible, not significantly structured (no hard heel counter), breathes well, with a durable rubber sole. I can also pull them on for uptempo pace endurance work and easy days. The relatively low price point is a bonus!

I've yet to find something I like better than Mizuno Wave Riders for a slow, long-run. I have found that those always provide a nice soft, stable ride.

I recently just put about 500 miles on a pair of Nike Pegasus 37's and was thoroughly unexcited by them. To be sure, they got the job done, but the cushioning was a bit too stiff for my liking. I also had some gripes about the upper as it didn't seem to breathe well and on long runs it retained moisture, simultaneously the upper felt just a bit too minimal and my feet just never really felt locked into the ride.

I just bought a pair of Saucony Endorphin Shifts and took them out for the last long run (22 miles) of my current training cycle. These are wildly different than anything I have run in before. Pretty big stack height and this really funky forward roll feeling that I am still getting used too. It definitely keeps me from being lazy and settling in on my heels as I get tired.
I also have a pair of peg 37. I’ve had some good runs here and there, but the upper has been hard to dial in for me as well. Doesn’t feel great for a long run. Daily miles though are okay.

Wave rider this year seems great. May consider it for sure.

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with the comments that the Mizuno Wave Rider 24 is a great choice! The Wave Rider 24 has some awesome updates - it is a softer ride, and the upper seems a lot more comfortable than previous models. However, if we are talking about a long recovery runs, I'm voting for the Hoka Bondi 7. I think the Bondi must be the most comfortable shoe for longer runs, and for the amount of cushion, it is surprisingly light. I find it gives my legs the protection they need mile after mile.

Another favorite of mine for a long progression run is the Brooks Ghost 13. I took them out this weekend for some miles and had an "AHHH Yes” experience. I have a higher arch, and the support, or what felt like a massage in my arch, was incredible. If you haven’t tried the Ghost, I can tell you that it is softer on the run than it feels at step-in, and it has some pop! It is a little narrow in the toe-box, so you may want to try the wide.

Don't forget to enter to win a pair of Brooks Ghost 13!!

Greg
RW Staff

I agree with the comments that the Mizuno Wave Rider 24 is a great choice! The Wave Rider 24 has some awesome updates - it is a softer ride, and the upper seems a lot more comfortable than previous models. However, if we are talking about a long recovery runs, I'm voting for the Hoka Bondi 7. I think the Bondi must be the most comfortable shoe for longer runs, and for the amount of cushion, it is surprisingly light. I find it gives my legs the protection they need mile after mile.

Another favorite of mine for a long progression run is the Brooks Ghost 13. I took them out this weekend for some miles and had an "AHHH Yes” experience. I have a higher arch, and the support, or what felt like a massage in my arch, was incredible. If you haven’t tried the Ghost, I can tell you that it is softer on the run than it feels at step-in, and it has some pop! It is a little narrow in the toe-box, so you may want to try the wide.

Don't forget to enter to win a pair of Brooks Ghost 13!!

Greg
RW Staff
Thanks! Definitely entered already, and I love the look of the Ghost this year. I’ve run in the Revel 3 in the past and enjoyed it, so I’m sure the Ghost 13 would be a nice step up.

I like Bondi in theory, but prefer some ground contact and most Hokas aren’t about that I feel?

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@bachtalking,

I'm rotating the ASICS GlideRide, New Balance Prism, & Hoka Rincon 2. The shoe I reach for is all about where I'm going, how far/long I'll be out there, & how I feel. The GlideRide snuck up on me last year as a go-to trainer. I'm really looking forward to the update because I think it will make something I enjoy even better. I primarily reach for GlideRide during longer days or recover runs. The Prism has DNA from the Rebel (another favorite of mine), but the stability that I (technically) need. I'll use this if I want to get out a little faster, and/or my legs feel like they need a bit of stability. Hoka Rincon 2 has a similar purpose as the Prism in my line-up. I'll use if for faster stuff when (like a longer tempo) when I want more cushion. I have also used if for longer days that I'd typically grab my GlideRide for.

Justin
RW Staff

The group I train with likes to hammer a lot our longruns on flat pavement. For those I wear the Nike Zoomfly, because they’re protective enough that I never feel beat up after these long runs, but they still feel responsive in a way other highly protective shoes don’t. For hilly dirt long runs I also like to wear the Boston, because I just love that shoe.

edit: For easy long runs (always dirt) I go with either the Boston for regular easy pace or the Clifton for recovery pace.

Last edited:
It's dependent on the idea of the LR for me. If I'm looking to get the pace going, I go Pegasus 37 since it's springy & protective. Shoe lets me fly the last 4-6 miles of the long run. If I'm just trying to get the mileage done, I go HOKA Clifton 7. The extra protection leaves my knees/quads feeling a bit fresher. I would just be careful with your calves with HOKA's getting into those 1:30-2 hr range due to the lower offset.

For recovery and plodding long runs I love the Clifton 7. I've tried the Bondi and Triumph but I guess they are just too heavy for my liking that they make my long runs feel labored. As far as my actual long runs 12-17 miles staying in the 6:45-7:15/mile pace I like lighter more "lifeless" shoes like the Boston 9 or even the Beacon. While I absolutely love the Endorphin Speed and Hyperion tempo I think on long runs they mess things up for me because I struggle to not pick up pace to much more into marathon pace. Probably more of a me problem than anything but I struggle to keep my long run pacing especially in the Endorphin Speed. I've aimed for 7 minute pace in the Speed's and noticed after a mile I'm hovering in the low 6's.