Shorts with front zip pockets for smartphone

sureshsGOAT

Runner
I am looking for shorts that have ZIPs (or even a button enclosure) in the front/side pockets, where I can keep my smartphone and keys

Been looking around online, and only found 1 pair sold by Uniqlo.

Do other companies make these types of shorts?

Running with phone and keys in a pocket sounds like a bit of a nightmare, especially given the size of some phones now. Have you considered a running belt? You can store those items more securely and not have to buy multiple shorts with pockets.

imnothammer

Echoing @Gkprevite here... I have been running with a SPIbelt for years without issue, although having the keys and phone in the same "pocket" may risk scratching the phone. I think I have had mine for about 5 years at this point and the elastic is only just starting to show signs of wear.

I've found that most shorts have some sort of very small zip pocket somewhere. I am a big fan of the Saucony Split shorts, if I need to run with a key. The Saucony shorts have a weird butt pocket but you don't notice any bounce that you might with a side pocket. I also have a pair of New Balance shorts (honestly I am not sure which style exactly) but they have a surprisingly large side pocket - so NB may be worth looking into if you're really married to the idea of a side pocket big enough for a phone.

I really hate running with stuff and I used to just hide my key somewhere nearby. I realize that is not practical (or wise) in all situations. Because my hatred of having stuff in my pockets extends beyond running, I also recently installed a smart lock so I can just open my door with my phone. So long keys!

Last edited:
I hate holding a phone in my hand or ive even tried a run belt and i just dont like the placement. Typically I will want to carry my phone on long runs so because of that i just wear my hydration vest without the bladder. At least free's up my arms but still you feel the weight of the phone. I can't ever imagine though carrying my bulky phone in my shorts.

I have several pairs of Path Project shorts - they all have phone-sized zippered pockets that run along your waist in the back and several models also have zippered side pockets. They also include a smaller inside pocket that can hold a key or something similar (I carry just my car key when I am running and it fits comfortably within the interior pocket.)

Jammasta

Runner
I really like the LuluLemon stride shorts, good for phone in the liner and a pocket also.

When running with a belt i find it best to wear it hight and tight. Above the belly button. I also have the 'pouch' at the back. I dont even notice it.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I am looking for shorts that have ZIPs (or even a button enclosure) in the front/side pockets, where I can keep my smartphone and keys

Been looking around online, and only found 1 pair sold by Uniqlo.

Do other companies make these types of shorts?

@sureshsGOAT,

Just a quick note about having your phone in a front pocket. Personally, I've found back zipper pockets or belt storage to feel better for longer runs. The disadvantage is that it can be difficult to get access to your phone.

We have a couple options that should work for what you are looking for:
  1. Patagonia Nine Trails 8" Shorts
    1. This is a solid option considering your needs. It has two zippered front pockets and a back zip pocket too. I haven't had this specific short. However, I've had several Patagonia Trail models and loved them.
  2. rabbit Fully RE-Loaded 7" Shorts
    1. This rabbit short is similar to the short above. Two zippered pockets and a back zipper pocket. I personally gravitate towards rabbit clothing as some of my favorite running gear is from them.

Justin
RW Staff

I have an ancient pair of Nike 9 inch shorts with front, zip pockets. The material is very thin and you can't really run with a phone in these. I do have shorts with front zip pockets that I run in but the material is heavy to be able to support a phone and keys. Zip pockets used to be more common in the 1990s I think.

sureshsGOAT

Runner
I have an ancient pair of Nike 9 inch shorts with front, zip pockets. The material is very thin and you can't really run with a phone in these. I do have shorts with front zip pockets that I run in but the material is heavy to be able to support a phone and keys. Zip pockets used to be more common in the 1990s I think.

the good ole' days!

DavGraves

Runner
Hello! I like Nike because their pockets are not very deep, and the keys don't ring when running. I don't like bags, in addition, I run alone at the stadium, and the bag has nowhere to put.

sureshsGOAT

Runner
Echoing @Gkprevite here... I have been running with a SPIbelt for years without issue, although having the keys and phone in the same "pocket" may risk scratching the phone. I think I have had mine for about 5 years at this point and the elastic is only just starting to show signs of wear.

I've found that most shorts have some sort of very small zip pocket somewhere. I am a big fan of the Saucony Split shorts, if I need to run with a key. The Saucony shorts have a weird butt pocket but you don't notice any bounce that you might with a side pocket. I also have a pair of New Balance shorts (honestly I am not sure which style exactly) but they have a surprisingly large side pocket - so NB may be worth looking into if you're really married to the idea of a side pocket big enough for a phone.

I really hate running with stuff and I used to just hide my key somewhere nearby. I realize that is not practical (or wise) in all situations. Because my hatred of having stuff in my pockets extends beyond running, I also recently installed a smart lock so I can just open my door with my phone. So long keys!

I got the SPIBelt, its great!