Shoe help.

Looking for some advice. It seems that I can only run in Hoka Hupana 2 shoes. Everything else doesn't feel right or hurts my feet. I like the hupana because they are not squishy, but feel cushioned. I got the Hupana flow and they do not feel very similar at all. I tried the Rincon, thinking I'd stick with Hoka, and they are too soft. Any thoughts on something remotely similar in feel to the Hupana 2? In any brand. I really like the 5mm drop...that feels the best on my bunion. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

I’m sure the actual RW shoe experts here will have some good suggestions but the first thing to come to my mind is the Saucony Kinvara. It is a similar stack height to the Hupana and is a 4mm drop. It also has that middle ground of having enough cushion not to feel harsh but is not overly soft either.

Last edited:

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Looking for some advice. It seems that I can only run in Hoka Hupana 2 shoes. Everything else doesn't feel right or hurts my feet. I like the hupana because they are not squishy, but feel cushioned. I got the Hupana flow and they do not feel very similar at all. I tried the Rincon, thinking I'd stick with Hoka, and they are too soft. Any thoughts on something remotely similar in feel to the Hupana 2? In any brand. I really like the 5mm drop...that feels the best on my bunion. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
Hi @Jenjen48,

Welcome to the TR Community!

@PEG had a great callout for the Kinvara (it was one of the first that jumped to my mind). It is similar. I'd say the most recent version (12) is more similar than the 11. However, there are a few other models that may work. Below is a list:
  • New Balance Beacon or Propel
    • One of our buyers ran in the Hupana for awhile. So, I asked for his feedback. He said that he'd give the edge the Propel. I've included the Beacon as it is pretty close but is a touch softer with an adaptable upper.
  • ASICS EvoRide
    • The EvoRide has the smoothness of the Hupana with a firmer feel than the NB shoes listed above. Personally, I really enjoyed the EvoRide.
  • Hoka Cavu
    • This will be more similar to the Hupana than the Rincon. However, it may be a bit too firm (depending on your preference).
Are there any other shoes you've tried that missed the mark? If so, could you elaborate on them a bit, please?

Justin
RW Staff

Hi Justin! Thank you for the information. I will check out those New Balance options. I do prefer a lower heel drop, so I'll also check the Kinvara. I've tried UA Sonic, which we ok and an older version of the Saucony Rides, I think they were the ISO, also a version of the 1080, but those were too soft and squishy. If they are too soft it ends up irritating my bunion. I think that's why the hupana has been so good, soft but not squishy. But, the hupana flow doesn't feel as nice at the 2s did. I may check out the Cavu too. Thanks so much!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Justin! Thank you for the information. I will check out those New Balance options. I do prefer a lower heel drop, so I'll also check the Kinvara. I've tried UA Sonic, which we ok and an older version of the Saucony Rides, I think they were the ISO, also a version of the 1080, but those were too soft and squishy. If they are too soft it ends up irritating my bunion. I think that's why the hupana has been so good, soft but not squishy. But, the hupana flow doesn't feel as nice at the 2s did. I may check out the Cavu too. Thanks so much!
Happy to help!

Do you recall what about the Saucony Rides didn't quite work?

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

Yea, that's a good question. I remember them not being my favorite. I haven't tried them recently. I really like the drop of the hupana because it doesn't hurt my bunion. Higher drop shoes put pressure on that area and it will hurt. I'm going to look at those choices you listed.