ON cyclon

Woah - this is an interesting concept for sure.

https://www.on-running.com/en-us/cyclon

$30/month and the shoes can be replaced every 400km (~250 miles). Depending on where I am at in a training cycle, I am running somewhere between 40 to 60 miles a week which, doing some very rough table napkin math, puts the price of these shoes at about $40 a pair.

I definitely like the idea of being able to refresh your shoes at 250 miles, partly because I am cheap and partly because of an aversion to waste. I feel some guilt looking at my ever growing graveyard of old shoes...

I try to put at least 400 miles on a pair of shoes before I retire them. Again, super rough table napkin math, but this puts the cost of the Cyclon at about $.16 per mile as compared to a traditional pair of $150 shoes at about $.38 per mile.

Setting environmental and pricing considerations aside, the obvious question is how do these perform? I am definitely hesitant about running in a shoe (beans!?!) where the primary design concern is recyclability and not performance but, again, the fact that you can change these out so frequently mitigates some of that fear.

Shame that with a projected Fall 2021 release these are still about a year away.

Very cool. If it’s even a decent running shoe, and especially if you can make it bi or quarterly, it’s a great idea. I think subscription shoes will be ultimately a niche idea, but for a runner focused on training and if they can find the subscription that fits them, something like this is fantastic

Kind of following up after it, it’s a little tricky. You have to maintain $30 a month, so if you’re not running as much some months you’re losing value. The ideal is a long distance runner who is replacing shoes often. But if you have a shoe rotation and really only are hitting 250 miles in a shoe every say three months, you’re paying a hefty price from my understanding. If you love on shoes and you are hitting that 50+ a week mileage with maybe three pairs of shoes including this as your daily trainer if it can be that, that’s an ideal person, but for average runners it’s a tricky decision.

Kind of following up after it, it’s a little tricky. You have to maintain $30 a month, so if you’re not running as much some months you’re losing value. The ideal is a long distance runner who is replacing shoes often. But if you have a shoe rotation and really only are hitting 250 miles in a shoe every say three months, you’re paying a hefty price from my understanding. If you love on shoes and you are hitting that 50+ a week mileage with maybe three pairs of shoes including this as your daily trainer if it can be that, that’s an ideal person, but for average runners it’s a tricky decision.
Totally agreed. It seems like the Atreyu subscription model where you pay per shoe and than choose how often you get the shoe is much more flexible.
That said if i were to find a shoe that I liked i thibk a subscription could work really well. I generally put most my milage on one work horse trainer and a subscription could be a much cheaper option. Especially because I feel like my stride destroys shoes annoyingly fast.

It’s an interesting idea. I don’t really like that you will never actually own the shoe. The recycling isn’t a bad idea, but I think it should be an option, not mandatory. I think Atreyu may have done this best with having both subscription and outright buying authorized. They do a recycling thing too, but it is more of a charitable option than part of the actual program.