Off-Season Workout Schedule

runLB

I've been trying to find a good schedule for off-season (aka Covid). My friends and I are typically marathon runners and have a pretty good schedule for marathon training and short breaks in between, but nothing like this where we don't have any races on the calendar for months. I've yet to find an online schedule for such a scenario. Has anyone else found something they can share? Thanks

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I've been trying to find a good schedule for off-season (aka Covid). My friends and I are typically marathon runners and have a pretty good schedule for marathon training and short breaks in between, but nothing like this where we don't have any races on the calendar for months. I've yet to find an online schedule for such a scenario. Has anyone else found something they can share? Thanks

@runLB,

Welcome to the TR Message Board. Apologies for the delay here.

I'm no training expert or coach, but I will speak from my experience. Typically, if I am not training for anything, I'll alter small things in my training schedule. So, I may train workouts on the same day, but I won't have the same aim/expectation I might have when prepping for something. Also, I tend to take more time off. As an example, if for some reason, I really felt good and went after it in a workout. I might call my next session off entirely or shorten it (depending on what my body is telling me). The other thing I will do is supplement types of workout more often. Instead of a run session, I might get on a bike. I'm dropping a workout schedule below that @Joe posted in another thread (he is our resident Coaching expert). It is the one I'm integrating for myself.

Mon: Easy recovery run with your buddies
Tues: Easier 60 min run
Wed: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Thur: Mid week longer run 70-90 min - pace increases for the last half as fitness increases
Fri: Easier 60 min run
Sat: Dynamic warmup + primary workout
Sun: Long, easy run working towards this being a primary marathon specific run as the marathon approaches in place of the Saturday primary workout.

Finally, I haven't done this in awhile, but I will use the time I'm not training specifically for an event to improve other things. So, one year (in between training cycles) I worked on my mile time specifically.

@Joe any advice for @runLB?
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

imnothammer

Just to piggyback off of this, one of the things that has helped my training the most is eliminating the idea of an "off-season" as I find that putting myself in the mindset of "it's the off-season" leads to more excuses than runs.

Justin posted a really healthy way of approaching an off-season, replacing runs with bikes or cutting out an individual work-out if you really nailed it in a previous one. Or, alternatively, setting a different (and possibly more manageable) goal such as trying to better a shorter distance PR.

For me it is really important that I preserve the routine of my schedule, so now I try to continue training as if I have still got a race on the calendar. It doesn't need to be a marathon but I will throw in a time trial at the end of a cycle. If you're not willing to go full tilt (and certainly I wouldn't blame you) then one thing that may work is looking at some of the tiered plans and going down a step or two. For instance, if you normally use the Higdon Advanced plan then maybe try the Higdon Novice plan?