NB 1080v9 to v10

I am a 67 years old avid walker after running for many years. I like distance walking. As I age, I feel that I need cushion, although I like a firm feeling shoe. I happily walked a half marathon in Saucony ISO 3 about 3 years ago. I tried newer versions of the Saucony ISO and didn’t like them, the 5 was huge and I wear wide. I then started wearing NB 880v9 but it wasn’t enough protection for longer walks. My feet hurt in them. I wear orthotics for a long second toe and periodic ball of foot pain problem. I started wearing NB 1080v8 and my toe/ ball of foot pain disappeared. I am now walking in NB 1080v9 in 7.5w, which is barely wide enough. I tried the 880v10 and they are too flexible and mushy feeling. I am going to need new shoes before long and am wondering if NB 1080v10 will aggravate my ball of foot and toe due to the toe spring and am wondering if going back to the Saucony Triumph would be better, Several years ago I tried Hoka Bondi and didn’t like the stack height and felt pressure on my forefoot when walking. Even though it was wide, it wasn’t wide enough. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

I can't offer any insight into your direct question but just throwing my two cents in for which of my shoes I love walking around in the most.

After I "retire" a pair of running shoes they will enter into rotation for errands, walking, etc... and recently I have found it to be less of a rotation more me just grabbing my old Mizuno Wave Riders (I have the 20's but they are now on 24). They're firm but not overly so and, for me at least, just feel great to run and now walk in.

It looks like Running Warehouse also has them available in wide sizes. May be worth looking into for you!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I am a 67 years old avid walker after running for many years. I like distance walking. As I age, I feel that I need cushion, although I like a firm feeling shoe. I happily walked a half marathon in Saucony ISO 3 about 3 years ago. I tried newer versions of the Saucony ISO and didn’t like them, the 5 was huge and I wear wide. I then started wearing NB 880v9 but it wasn’t enough protection for longer walks. My feet hurt in them. I wear orthotics for a long second toe and periodic ball of foot pain problem. I started wearing NB 1080v8 and my toe/ ball of foot pain disappeared. I am now walking in NB 1080v9 in 7.5w, which is barely wide enough. I tried the 880v10 and they are too flexible and mushy feeling. I am going to need new shoes before long and am wondering if NB 1080v10 will aggravate my ball of foot and toe due to the toe spring and am wondering if going back to the Saucony Triumph would be better, Several years ago I tried Hoka Bondi and didn’t like the stack height and felt pressure on my forefoot when walking. Even though it was wide, it wasn’t wide enough. Would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
Hi @Emmalee,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

The 1080 v10 may be a bit too soft (based on the preferences you stated here). Also, I share you concern about the toe spring. I will note that the 1080 v10 is a fantastic & comfortable running shoe. It just may not be the best shoe for your needs. However, we have several options that should help you get back out the door and feeling comfortable. Below is a list with some notes (all of these come in a wide width):
  • Saucony Echelon
    • This shoe is designed to have a more accommodating fit & well suited for orthotics. Also, the Echelon is designed to be comfortable but not overly soft.
  • Brooks Dyad
    • The Dyad is, essentially, Brooks' version of the shoe above. The overall forefoot cushion in this shoe is slightly lower than the Echelon though.
  • Saucony Triumph 18
    • The Triumph has a more "bouncy" softness to it. However, I'd still consider it a soft shoe. So, that may be a downside for you. However, this is the shoe with the most forefoot cushioning of the ones listed here. It is also an all-around Running Warehouse favorite.
  • Mizuno Wave Rider 24
    • This was a great pick by @imnothammer. The Rider is comfortable but a bit firmer than the shoes listed above. The overall design tends to be a bit more stiff with less toe spring.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there is any further assistance we can provide.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

Hi @Emmalee,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

The 1080 v10 may be a bit too soft (based on the preferences you stated here). Also, I share you concern about the toe spring. I will note that the 1080 v10 is a fantastic & comfortable running shoe. It just may not be the best shoe for your needs. However, we have several options that should help you get back out the door and feeling comfortable. Below is a list with some notes (all of these come in a wide width):
  • Saucony Echelon
    • This shoe is designed to have a more accommodating fit & well suited for orthotics. Also, the Echelon is designed to be comfortable but not overly soft.
  • Brooks Dyad
    • The Dyad is, essentially, Brooks' version of the shoe above. The overall forefoot cushion in this shoe is slightly lower than the Echelon though.
  • Saucony Triumph 18
    • The Triumph has a more "bouncy" softness to it. However, I'd still consider it a soft shoe. So, that may be a downside for you. However, this is the shoe with the most forefoot cushioning of the ones listed here. It is also an all-around Running Warehouse favorite.
  • Mizuno Wave Rider 24
    • This was a great pick by @imnothammer. The Rider is comfortable but a bit firmer than the shoes listed above. The overall design tends to be a bit more stiff with less toe spring.
Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there is any further assistance we can provide.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff
Thank you for the suggestions. This is very helpful! I will be looking into information on these and hopefully making an order soon.