Looking for New Balance SL2 Last with a lot of cushioning

I love the 1080s for their cushioning but prefer shoes that use the SL2 last like the 840, 940, 1260, 1340, and 1540. I have only tried the 1080s and 1540s so I'm making assumptions on the rest of the models based on pictures that I've seen of them.

Could the folks at Running Warehouse offer an opinion on the list here with the best cushioning?

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @movdqa,

We've reached out to our New Balance contact to see what they have that fits this description. Once we hear back, we will let you know.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @movdqa,

We spoke with our New Balance contact. Essentially, there isn't an NB option that has comparable cushioning to the 1080 on that last. The SL2 last is designed for stability models/inherently stable models.

What really stands out about the last to you? Also, would you prefer to stay in New Balance? There are other brands that may have a similar fit but with higher cushioning.

Justin
RW Staff

Hi @movdqa,

We spoke with our New Balance contact. Essentially, there isn't an NB option that has comparable cushioning to the 1080 on that last. The SL2 last is designed for stability models/inherently stable models.

What really stands out about the last to you? Also, would you prefer to stay in New Balance? There are other brands that may have a similar fit but with higher cushioning.

Justin
RW Staff

SL2 gives you more space if your smaller three toes are longer and wider. The vast majority of running shoes that I see cut off the small toes in a diagonal and I presume that this works well for most feet. The SL2 is more rounded. The SL2 shoes tend to run wider, even in comparable sizes. All models are available in 4E and several of the SL2s are available in 6E.

I'd be fine with another brand but my main issue is additional width and height in the toebox. I have been wearing New Balance since around 2004 and have been buying 4E or 6E.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
@movdqa,

Thank you for all the info.

Within the New Balance Line, I'd say the 840 is your best bet (unfortunately, that shoe is phasing out of inventory for us). Saucony, & Brooks both have similar shoes. Those shoes will not have comparable cushioning to the 1080 though. When I fit people in retail, they tended to gravitate towards the Brooks Dyad (linked above) due to the step-in comfort.

If you are willing to look outside New Balance, the Hoka Bondi 7 will come in a 4E. The cushioning of the Bondi will be comparable to the 1080. However, the overall toe box shape is still more traditional. Personally, I haven't tried on the Bondi 7 (yet). So, I am unable to comment too much on fit.

Also, depending on your footshape, Altra or Topo may have a solution for you. Unfortunately, they don't come in true "wide", but I've had runners that wore wide in regular shoes use & enjoy them.

Justin
RW Staff

@movdqa,

Thank you for all the info.

Within the New Balance Line, I'd say the 840 is your best bet (unfortunately, that shoe is phasing out of inventory for us). Saucony, & Brooks both have similar shoes. Those shoes will not have comparable cushioning to the 1080 though. When I fit people in retail, they tended to gravitate towards the Brooks Dyad (linked above) due to the step-in comfort.

If you are willing to look outside New Balance, the Hoka Bondi 7 will come in a 4E. The cushioning of the Bondi will be comparable to the 1080. However, the overall toe box shape is still more traditional. Personally, I haven't tried on the Bondi 7 (yet). So, I am unable to comment too much on fit.

Also, depending on your footshape, Altra or Topo may have a solution for you. Unfortunately, they don't come in true "wide", but I've had runners that wore wide in regular shoes use & enjoy them.

Justin
RW Staff

Thank-you for the detailed and experienced reply.

I think that I will have to stay with the 1080 line for the foreseeable future. I didn't expect it to be one of the softest out there.

It does seem like NB is going to keep it around for a long time. I will try sizing up one full size; I've already sized up 1/2 size and it helps but is still a little snug.

The Fresh Foam More V1 and V2 seem to be what I'm looking for in all areas except for durability. I've read review that these area very comfortable and the pictures indicate that these have a bigger toebox than the 1080s. I also read that these are available in 6E but I haven't been able to verify that. I will keep an eye on this model in case they come up with a new model with better durability - my guess is that they are using a very soft rubber bottom layer instead of a more durable synthetic.