foot pain

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Mikey58,

I have had dull aching in the forefoot. It definitely wasn't fun and made running harder for me. Several issues caused mine, the toe box was too tight, the shoe was too flexible, and not enough cushioning in the forefoot. Regarding your pain, how long have you had it? How old are your shoes? Do you feel it when you don't run? Do you have any toe numbness?

Depending on your answers I will be able to narrow down possible options to help reduce any issues. I look forward to helping you!

Tyler
RW Staff

Last edited:

Mikey58

Pacer
Hi @Mikey58,

I have had dull aching in the forefoot. It definitely wasn't fun and made running harder for me. Several issues caused mine, the toe box was too tight, the shoe was too flexible, and not enough cushioning in the forefoot. Regarding your pain, how long have you had it? How old are your shoes? Do you feel it when you don't run? Do you have any toe numbness?

Depending on your answers I will be able to narrow down possible options to help reduce any issues. I look forward to helping you!

RE: my pain, how long have you had it? intermittently for several months, usually left > right
How old are your shoes? a few months, and I rotate 3 pairs throughout my weekly runs
Do you feel it when you don't run? yes, when I am walking usually resolves after I start running for about 10 mins.
Do you have any toe numbness? no

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for your responses @Mikey58. Based on your responses, you might like something with more cushioning under the forefoot and a lower drop. The Cushioning will provide extra protection to the ball of the foot and, the lower drop will reduce the pressure from your body on the forefoot.
Shoes would be good for that are Altra Paradigm, Topo Phantom, and the Altra Torin Plush.

Please note that these shoes have lower heel-toe offsets, which can cause additional strain on the calves. To mitigate that, we recommend slowly transitioning to the lower drop shoes. I hope this helps!

Tyler
RW Staff

Mikey58

Pacer
thank you, but I have tried Altra shoes and they breakdown very fast (and are expensive). I also recently tried the Topo Phantom -- I did not like the fit.
any other suggestions?
thanks

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi @Mikey58, Alternative brands that have been helpful for customers with forefoot pain are Hoka (Clifton and Bondi are top options) and Skechers (Maxroad and Ride 8 Hyper). General characteristics in a shoe that will be beneficial to have are a lower heel-toe drop and extra padding under the forefoot. I hope this helps!

Tyler
RW Staff