Does Max Cushion = Soft?

I mentioned here earlier this month that I was looking for a pair of shoes for my easy run days that are cushioned and easy on my legs.

I was able to try on a few of the shoes that were recommended, but felt that they weren't really was I was looking for. I eventually ordered a pair of the Hoka Bondi 7s and I received them today and while they certainly are "max cushion," they do not feel particularly soft.

Should max cushion shoes feel soft or is that just a misconception on my part?

I have a pair of New Balance RC Elites and the FuelCell TCs and both of those shoes felt very soft and bouncy when I first put them on, which I like.

I guess that I sort of expect easy day shoes to have a similar sort of softness ... but I don't know what I am basing that on other than perhaps my own ignorance of what "max cushion" means.

Am I off the mark? What is the purpose of max cushioned shoes if not to feel soft underfoot?

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I mentioned here earlier this month that I was looking for a pair of shoes for my easy run days that are cushioned and easy on my legs.

I was able to try on a few of the shoes that were recommended, but felt that they weren't really was I was looking for. I eventually ordered a pair of the Hoka Bondi 7s and I received them today and while they certainly are "max cushion," they do not feel particularly soft.

Should max cushion shoes feel soft or is that just a misconception on my part?

I have a pair of New Balance RC Elites and the FuelCell TCs and both of those shoes felt very soft and bouncy when I first put them on, which I like.

I guess that I sort of expect easy day shoes to have a similar sort of softness ... but I don't know what I am basing that on other than perhaps my own ignorance of what "max cushion" means.

Am I off the mark? What is the purpose of max cushioned shoes if not to feel soft underfoot?

Hi @ColorBlindJames,

Thank you for this question. I was recently discussing this with our Director of buying.

One of the primary conclusions we came to (and I can confirm from anecdotal experience in running retail) is that perception of "softness" is variable among runners. I've heard a lot of runners say the Bondi is the softest shoe on the market. However, I also tried on the 7 recently and felt it wasn't as soft as previous Bondi's I'd tried.

Regarding the purpose of max cushion shoes, I'd say they are primary intended as a protective tool to soak up impact and prevent "too much" ground feel. There is certainly an expectation of softness from these type of shoes that many runners have (myself included). We've discussed this with brands as they've aimed to create more Max Cushion shoes. One of the primary concerns brands have in creating these shoes is ensuring they are soft enough to be comfortable but not so soft they "bottom out" for heavier runners. So, there is a bit of balancing act.

Personally, I've come to pivot my expectation from the idea of "soft" to one of "comfort" as those things aren't the exact same. Recently, I started running in the Altra Paradigm (dealing with some injuries). I don't consider the shoe soft, but it is definitely comfortable. I found it more comfortable than the Bondi 7 on step-in feel, but I know that can be a relative metric.

Final note, with regards to your running shoes, we want you to get the best shoe/experience. So, if you aren't happy with the Bondi, we are happy to get you something that gives you the experience you are looking for. The ASICS Novablast is a shoe that jumps to mind. Have you tried it on previously?

Justin
RW Staff

SpyTheGuy

Runner
Max cushion is really the amount of cushioning material underfoot. A more technical term would be stack height. The amount of cushioning doesn't mean soft. The density of the midsole is the biggest contributor to how soft/firm a shoe feels. A bigger runner will find a more dense, max cushion shoe to feel softer than a lower cushion, less dense shoe because they will likely "bottom-out" the lower cushion, less dense shoe.

The Bondi is max cushion, medium to high density (perceived). It's also stiff (not flexible), striaght in shape and broad. These characteristcs also influence feel.

If you want softer feel, based on your experience with the two NB shoes and the Bondi, I would look at the Hoka Clifton or Skechers Max Road.

SpyTheGuy

Runner
The Asics Novablast suggestion from Justin also makes sense as does the Saucony Triumph. If you're a heel striker, Tte Novablast has a ton of soft heel cushioning.