Year after year, Running Warehouse has put out a best selling shoes blog to give our readers some insights on the buying trends seen on our site. While it may not be the same trends seen at your local running store, it does offer a unique look at what the RW customer is looking for. After going through the data and excluding any clearance sales, we created a list of the road running shoes (by color) that sold best during the second quarter of 2018 (April, May, and June).
On the men’s side HOKA ONE ONE dominated, taking 12 of the top 20 positions. While the Nike Vaporfly 4% took the #1 spot in 2017 Q4, the HOKA Napali came out as the top dog in 2018 Q2. Along with with the #3 and #4 positions on the list, the Napali proved that many runners still have a soft spot in their hearts for the underfoot feel of the HOKA Clifton 3. Another big hitter that took 6 of the top 20 positions was the HOKA Clifton 4. The shoe offered pretty big updates over version 3, but it has proven to be a reliable training option and continues to be a major player on the best selling list. Now, with the release of the HOKA Clifton 5, we’ve seen some small and needed tweaks over its predecessor which should put the shoe in the running for the #1 spot in Q3. The last HOKA shoe to make the cut was the Bondi 5, which secured two colors on the list.
The Nike Vaporfly 4% was “THE shoe” at the end of 2017, and now that we are well in to 2018, it’s the shoe on everyone’s mind. The shoe came in at the number 2 spot and very well could have been the top shoe if it wasn’t for lack of deeper inventory. Nike also has had quite a bit of success with the release of the new Pegasus 35. Even though it wasn’t released until halfway through the quarter, one color-way picked up the #16 spot. We expect the Pegasus 35 and the newly released Pegasus Turbo to see some big numbers in Q3.
The core Brooks shoes also had a solid showing across the board. The Ghost 10 snuck 2 colors onto the list while an individual color of the Glycerin 15 made it into the top 10. On the stability side, the classic feel of the Adrenaline GTS 18 continued its legacy coming in at #19.
While there weren’t a lot of lightweight shoes or racing flats on this quarter’s list, the ASICS DS Trainer 23 did squeeze into the top 10 and the crowd favorite New Balance 1400 v6 came in at #11 and #20.
On the women’s side, HOKA was also the overwhelming favorite, taking 13 of the top 20 shoes. The Clifton 4 took 7 of the top 20 positions while the Napali also has a strong showing with 2 color-ways in the top 10. While not quite as popular, the Bondi and Arahi also had a decent showing rounding out the top 20.
While HOKA had the most color-ways make the list, the Brooks Ghost 10 came out as the number 1 shoe on the women’s side. Along with 2 other colors in the top 10, the Ghost series has proven to be one of the top sellers year after year. With the release of the even more responsive Ghost 11, we should see the shoe continue to thrive into Q3. Other than the the Ghost, we also saw 2 colors of the Glycerin 15 and an individual color of the Adrenaline 18 make the top 20. Although Brooks and HOKA seemed to fill the women’s side, we did see one color of the adidas Boston 7 round out the list.
Below are the full lists for the top twenty best selling* road shoes in the second quarter (April, May, and June) of 2018.
For a look at our favorite shoes of the year, take a look at our Best Running shoes 2018 Blog
Men’s Best Selling Road Running Shoes – Q2 2018
Rank Shoe Model and Color MSRP
HOKA ONE ONE Napali Men’s Shoes Anthracite/Niagara
2. Nike Zoom Vaporfly 4% Unisex Shoes Obsidian/Silver (Sold Out) 250.00
3. HOKA ONE ONE Napali Men’s Shoes Black/Racing Red 110.00
4. HOKA ONE ONE Napali Men’s Shoes True Blue/Diva Blue 110.00
5. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes True Blue/Green 130.00
6. Brooks Ghost 10 Men’s Shoes Ebony/Charcoal/Blue 120.00
7. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes Black/White 130.00
8. ASICS Gel DS Trainer 23 Men’s Shoes Yellow/Grey/White 120.00
9. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes Diva Blue/True Blue 130.00
10. Brooks Glycerin 15 Men’s Shoes Black/Blue/Green 150.00
11. New Balance 1400 v6 Men’s Shoes Maldives Blue/Black 100.00
12. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes Sulphur Spring 130.00
13. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes Griffin/Micro Chip 130.00
14. HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 5 Men’s Shoes Charcoal Grey/Blue 150.00
15. Brooks Ghost 10 Men’s Shoes Primer Grey/Charcoal/Ebony 120.00
16. Nike Zoom Pegasus 35 Men’s Shoes Bright Crimson/Blue 120.00
17. HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 5 Men’s Shoes Black/Formula One 150.00
18. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Men’s Shoes Haute Red/Red (Sold Out) 130.00
19. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 Men’s Shoes Grey/Blue/Black 120.00
20. New Balance 1400 v6 Men’s Shoes White Munsell/Flame 100.00
Women’s Best Selling Road Running Shoes – Q2 2018
Rank Shoe Model and Color MSRP
1. Brooks Ghost 10 Women’s Shoes Black/Pink/Coral 120.00
2. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Blue Coral/Ceramic 130.00
3. HOKA ONE ONE Napali Women’s Shoes Bluebird/Black 110.00
4. Brooks Ghost 10 Women’s Shoes Primer Grey/Teal/Silver 120.00
5. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Aquifer/Indigo 130.00
6. HOKA ONE ONE Napali Women’s Shoes Black/Blackened Pearl 110.00
7. Brooks Glycerin 15 Women’s Shoes Evening Blue/Purple 150.00
8. Brooks Ghost 10 Women’s Shoes Purple/Pink/Teal 120.00
9. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Sky Blue/Surf 130.00
10. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Black/White 130.00
11. HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 5 Women’s Shoes Black/Anthracite 150.00
12. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Fuchsia/Hot Pink 130.00
13. Brooks Glycerin 15 Women’s Shoes Silver/Grey/Rose 150.00
14. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes Castlerock/Asphalt 130.00
15. HOKA ONE ONE Clifton 4 Women’s Shoes White/Black Pearl 130.00
16. HOKA ONE ONE Bondi 5 Women’s Shoes Blueprint/Surf 150.00
17. HOKA ONE ONE Napali Women’s Shoes Hot Pink/Jubilee 110.00
18. HOKA ONE ONE Arahi 2 Women’s Shoes Poseidon/Indigo 130.00
19. adidas adizero Boston 7 Women’s Shoes Boston 120.00
20. Brooks Adrenaline GTS 18 Women’s Shoes Navy/Teal/Mint 120.00
*Rankings are based on units sold during 2018 Q2. Unisex models and colorways sold on clearance have been excluded.
For a look at the shoes that will be taking over these lists in the third quarter of 2018, be sure to check out our new arrivals page!
Last edited by a moderator: