Best running sneakers for Achilles Tenditis

I have been recently diagnosed with achilles tenditis. My orthopedic says it might be an issue with my sneakers and the drop. He is recommending that I go use a higher drop. I am a heel striker, wear a wide, 10.5/11 size. I used to wear the ghost but hated last years version so I switched to the NB 1080 v10 which is a drop of 8 compared to the ghost which is at 12. I am not sure 10 months later how or why this would happen but it did. I am looking for some recommendations on a sneaker that can help me possibly. TIA.

A higher drop shoe could definitely help. (Not that 8 is super low).
I know brooks has come out with a newer model of the ghost which I still haven’t tried, I also wasn’t a fan of the 12.
Another shoe that is getting good revyrhat might work for you is the Mizuno wave rider 24. The wave riders are known for having high drop and good for heal strikers.
The new balance 880 is another good neutral every day trainer. It’s got a 10mm drop though but I really like this shoe.
Lastly I’ve found with Achilles issues the most important thing for me is doing lots of heal drops, stretching and rolling. Even once it starts to feel better it’s one of those things you have to always be working on and strengthening.
Best of luck, Achilles problems suck!

A higher drop shoe could definitely help. (Not that 8 is super low).
I know brooks has come out with a newer model of the ghost which I still haven’t tried, I also wasn’t a fan of the 12.
Another shoe that is getting good revyrhat might work for you is the Mizuno wave rider 24. The wave riders are known for having high drop and good for heal strikers.
The new balance 880 is another good neutral every day trainer. It’s got a 10mm drop though but I really like this shoe.
Lastly I’ve found with Achilles issues the most important thing for me is doing lots of heal drops, stretching and rolling. Even once it starts to feel better it’s one of those things you have to always be working on and strengthening.
Best of luck, Achilles problems suck!

Thank you for the advice and responding. I usually run in NB and will defintely try the 880 out. I ran in one of them before and thought it was just ok. I tried the ghost 13 and have to say it feels really good and I might end up getting it. It seems after a run and the runs I do now are slow paces, that is when the achilles will bother me the most. After a stretch session then it starts to feel normal. It does suck and I hope to be able to be doing a threshold run sooner then later. I have never tried anything of Mizuno but will look into it. I really appreciate all the feedback you have given me. Thank you again.

Another type of shoes you could look at are some with a rocker shape (such as the Saucony Endorphin Speed with “Speedroll”) as that shape is designed to reduce the load on the ankle. Usually the focus with this is to increase efficiency but also helps to reduce the load on your Achilles’ tendon.

Another type of shoes you could look at are some with a rocker shape (such as the Saucony Endorphin Speed with “Speedroll”) as that shape is designed to reduce the load on the ankle. Usually the focus with this is to increase efficiency but also helps to reduce the load on your Achilles’ tendon.
Thank you for your reply. Can I still buy this even thou I wear a wide? I have seen videos on the Endorphin Speed and I think it looks like a amazing sneaker. I was supposed to be training for the Philly Marathon, but with covid that is happening but that was one sneaker I was considering.

Thank you for your reply. Can I still buy this even thou I wear a wide? I have seen videos on the Endorphin Speed and I think it looks like a amazing sneaker. I was supposed to be training for the Philly Marathon, but with covid that is happening but that was one sneaker I was considering.
Just chiming in in support of Saucony's SPEEDROLL, at the tail-end of a marathon training cycle I recently switched from Nike Pegasus 37s to the Saucony Shift (my local store was sold out of the Speed). I am really enjoying them. Trying them on in the store instantly sold me on them and, at least in my experience, it is a really unique feel.

Hope your injury subsides... with all of the official races off it is even more important to take care of yourself (no sense in injuring yourself for a virtual!)

My Achilles injuries have always been attributed to over training or running overly strenuous hills with proper warm up, so although a higher stack shoe may help you definitely want to look into overuse or weakness in the calves/ankles.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I have been recently diagnosed with achilles tenditis. My orthopedic says it might be an issue with my sneakers and the drop. He is recommending that I go use a higher drop. I am a heel striker, wear a wide, 10.5/11 size. I used to wear the ghost but hated last years version so I switched to the NB 1080 v10 which is a drop of 8 compared to the ghost which is at 12. I am not sure 10 months later how or why this would happen but it did. I am looking for some recommendations on a sneaker that can help me possibly. TIA.
@Roadrunner21,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Back in 2016, I injured my achilles and was forced to take a year off from running. It is really rough getting an injury like that.

I'd like to second @AlexMatteson recommendation of the Mizuno Rider 24. This has a lot of the qualities you indicated interest in. I've also heard a lot of good buzz around the 24 (although I have not run in it yet myself). The Ghost 13 (which you seemed to have looked into recently) is the another solid option. Unfortunately, there aren't many higher heel-to-toe offset shoes in wide & neutral. If you are interested in exploring something around 10mm, there is the Brooks Glycerin. This is more comparable to the 1080 than the Ghost would be.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. We hope you heal up soon!

Justin
RW Staff

@Roadrunner21,

Welcome to the TR Message board!

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Back in 2016, I injured my achilles and was forced to take a year off from running. It is really rough getting an injury like that.

I'd like to second @AlexMatteson recommendation of the Mizuno Rider 24. This has a lot of the qualities you indicated interest in. I've also heard a lot of good buzz around the 24 (although I have not run in it yet myself). The Ghost 13 (which you seemed to have looked into recently) is the another solid option. Unfortunately, there aren't many higher heel-to-toe offset shoes in wide & neutral. If you are interested in exploring something around 10mm, there is the Brooks Glycerin. This is more comparable to the 1080 than the Ghost would be.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. We hope you heal up soon!

Justin
RW Staff
I thank you very much for the kind words. I really hope I will be over to run before the new year is out. I can do some light running but it does not feel the same it you cannot go fast. I will look into those sneakers and once again thank you for your help.