50 Mile Race day Shoe; Technical, rocky terrain.. Go...

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply @ghostbaits. There are a few options that you might like for trail racing. The first that comes to mind is the Brooks Catamount. This shoe was designed for long-distance trail racing. To keep it lightweight and cushioned, the Catamount uses the same foam as the Hyperion Elite 2 and the Hyperion Tempo. It will also use a rock shield to protect you underfoot.

While a little heavier, the Hoka Speedgoat 4 will provide a similar experience underfoot. If you want to stay with the speedgoat, this is one worth considering.

Another Hoka worth considering is the Hoka Torrent. Now on its second version, this Hoka is both lightweight and responsive. A lot of runners have enjoyed this model as it provides a lighter/faster feel.

I was a big fan of the Catamount. I am hoping to purchase a pair of my own in the next few weeks. Let me know if you have any or questions.

Tyler
RW Staff

Thanks again for the reply! The Catamount is on my list to try so maybe I'll just go in that direction. How is the traction on wet rock? I have the Torrent and just can't see going 50 miles in them on this trail. A great shoe for sure but 50 miles is a stretch for me. SG was a tight in the forefoot so maybe I'll consider a width.

Thanks again for the replies and all the suggestions! Glad RW is there for my shoe needs and I know if I have a miss, the return policy is the best out there!

Jim

RW Staff

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jim (@ghostbaits),

Thank you for your kind words! We really appreciate it. Our reviewers noted that the Catamount uses a sticky grip underfoot that they found helpful on bare rock. This same type of rubber is also what most brands use for added grip on hard and wet surfaces such as rock. However, when picking between the Catamount and Speedgoat, I recommend looking at how aggressive the outsole is.

If you need something with deeper lugs, the Speedgoat will be great. If you prefer something with shallower lugs, the Catamount will be a great choice. I also wanted to note that it is true that the Speedgoat runs fairly narrow. When helping customers in our retail space, I tend to give people the wide (2E) width despite them not needing a wide width for more comfort.

Having tried on both shoes myself, I loved the fit of the Catamount. The upper was soft, the toe box wide, and the overall fit worked for my feet. The Speedgoat was a little too snug for my liking, but the wider version was more comfortable, and the cushioning was noticeably softer. I hope this helps!

I have also embedded links to our reviewer's reviews if you were interested to see what our in-house testers thought.

Tyler
RW Staff

Topo mountain racer perhaps. Topo ultraventure if you like a softer ride. Both could go the distance. I’d lean toward the mtn racer with the vibrant mega grip. But if you like plush the ultraventure still has adequate grip

Thanks for those suggestions @Gkprevite . Never thought of Topo but both seem to be very legit options. In the end, I found a pair of Evo Speedgoats in my size but I think I will grap a pair of the Topo MTN racer as well.