New Balance Hanzo

rg99

Which are the differences between Hanzo R and S? I found the first in the italian version of RunningWarehouse but I couldn't find any information about the differences between the two versions. Thanks!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Which are the differences between Hanzo R and S? I found the first in the italian version of RunningWarehouse but I couldn't find any information about the differences between the two versions. Thanks!

Hi @rg99,

I could 100% recall the differences or find significant information regarding it. So, I sent a note over to our New Balance Team inquiring with them to ensure I'm giving you the best information possible.
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

imnothammer

I couldn't find much detail the New Balance website, but I did find some discussion of this on the RunningShoeGeeks subreddit. Quoting expatrun below...

I have had every version of the 1400s and just retired two pairs of the v6. Unfortunately, it's really hard to find the 1400s anywhere, and impossible in Japan (where I live). However, the Hanzo started as a Japanese style and we have like 8 different models here.

The Hanzo S is marketed as the elite style, minimal, meant for speedwork and sub 2.5 marathon runners.
The Hanzo R is a little more cushioned and marketed towards sub 3 marathon runners.
Hanzo C - sub 4 marathon runners
Hanzo U - Ultra running, high cushioning, heavy
Hanzo T - every day training, high cushioning, heavy

(Haven't heard of the Hanzo W)

I tested out the various models of the Hanzos in store and ended up buying the Hanzo R a few weeks ago. None of them are the same as the 1400s. The heel drop in each model is much less than the 1400s (and you can sure feel it), and the forefoot construction in the R feels very different and not as supportive. The top, fit, and materials are pretty similar to the 1400s, though.

When it comes to the various models, the elite S style is wayyyy too minimal for me and the U ultrarun cushioned style felt way to heavy. So, I went with the R reluctantly because I was desperate. I'm satisfied with the purchase, because it was time for me to try something new, but don't get them if you're looking for something the same as the 1400's

I wish that there were specifics readily available but that's the best I can find so far.

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi All,

I was able to get some answers for our NB Reps (big shout out to them for digging up the information).

The Hanzo R (similar to what is stated above) is meant to be a bit "beefier" with more cushioning, slightly wider base nets, altered outsole rubber, and some other minor tweaks to work with that design. Also, the "R" stands for Race.

On the other hand, the Hanzo S is meant as a more minimal speedwork show ("S" Standing for Speed).

Both of these variations are designed specifically for the market in Japan.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if there is more info you need, and I will see what I can find!
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff