Speedgoat 4 frustration - need alternate

MissyWB

Hey everyone! I have been running in the Speedgoat 3s for longer runs/races and they've been wonderful! They fit my foot, no issues, the cushion has been perfect - I truly love them. When the 4 came out, I tried a pair in my normal size and width and I could barely get my foot in the shoe, it was too small everywhere. I've been holding out for the next version but my 3s are really getting worn and I've got some races coming up so I really need to find a shoe. I just tried the SG4 in wide and that was a truly miserable 6 miles. I don't have the volume, apparently, of a truly wide foot, so the upper bunched as I ran, and the material of the upper is so stiff, the bunched area would dig into the top/side of my foot. It was really awful. And it was just too big - my feet slid around inside the shoes a good bit, creating hotspots. I'm wondering if sizing up a half in the normal width would help any, or if I just need to go back to the drawing board. I've also been running in the Saucony Xodus 10, but they're really firm underfoot, and they become uncomfortable after about 10 miles. I've tried Ultraventure and Terraventure and they just don't fit my feet - none of Topo's line does. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or can you recommend something I maybe should try?

imnothammer

Unfortunately I am not familiar with this shoe, so I can't offer any alternatives but the Speedgoat 3 is currently available in new condition on eBay in a number of sizes (at time of post Women's 6, 7.5, 8, 9, 9.5, 11) as well as directly through Hoka in size 5.

I have had positive experiences hunting down "out of print" shoes through ebay so I hope this is helpful for you!

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hey everyone! I have been running in the Speedgoat 3s for longer runs/races and they've been wonderful! They fit my foot, no issues, the cushion has been perfect - I truly love them. When the 4 came out, I tried a pair in my normal size and width and I could barely get my foot in the shoe, it was too small everywhere. I've been holding out for the next version but my 3s are really getting worn and I've got some races coming up so I really need to find a shoe. I just tried the SG4 in wide and that was a truly miserable 6 miles. I don't have the volume, apparently, of a truly wide foot, so the upper bunched as I ran, and the material of the upper is so stiff, the bunched area would dig into the top/side of my foot. It was really awful. And it was just too big - my feet slid around inside the shoes a good bit, creating hotspots. I'm wondering if sizing up a half in the normal width would help any, or if I just need to go back to the drawing board. I've also been running in the Saucony Xodus 10, but they're really firm underfoot, and they become uncomfortable after about 10 miles. I've tried Ultraventure and Terraventure and they just don't fit my feet - none of Topo's line does. Has anyone else had a similar experience, or can you recommend something I maybe should try?

Hi @MissyWB,

Welcome to the TR Community!

I reached out to the reviewers that wore the Speedgoat 4 to get their feedback. So far, I've only heard from one. He felt the shoe was a little snug in terms of width but true to size otherwise. However, he hadn't run in the previous version to compare it.

Personally, I haven't run in the Speedgoat since version 2. So, my opinion isn't really valid. I will say that I've heard of people comment on the width of the shoe a number of times (through out multiple versions). My understanding was that Hoka tried to give a little more volume in the forefoot for version 4. It appears that may have not helped.

I looked up your customer file to check the sizes and shoe history. It looks like the Speedgoat 4 was in a 7.0 B then a 7.5 D. It may be worth trying the 7.5 B to see how that feels.

Here are some alternative shoes to try:
  • Hoka One One Challenger
    • From a ride standpoint, this should be similar, but maybe a bit softer. It also isn't as technical of a shoe. So, grip and protection will be less than the Speedgoat.
  • Hoka One One EVO Speedgoat
    • This is, essentially, a more performance oriented Speedgoat. I've heard rave reviews of it. If I'm recalling correctly, it is built on the Speedgoat 3 last.
  • Altra Olympus
    • This will have a few key differences: higher off the ground, wider toebox, and zero drop. So, this one would take the most time for your body to get use to.
  • ASICS Trabuco Max
    • I don't know a ton about this shoe in particular. I've heard a few people say it has some similarities to the Speedgoat. However, I can't say with 100% certainty how well it crosses over. Specs wise, it isn't too far off which is why I'm including it.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Liz (the other reviewer I reached out to).
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

MissyWB

@imnothammer I had seen the 5 on Hoka's website but I'm a 7.5. I'll look into the ebay o, thank you!
Hi @MissyWB,

I reached out to the reviewers that wore the Speedgoat 4 to get their feedback. So far, I've only heard from one. He felt the shoe was a little snug in terms of width but true to size otherwise. However, he hadn't run in the previous version to compare it.

Personally, I haven't run in the Speedgoat since version 2. So, my opinion isn't really valid. I will say that I've heard of people comment on the width of the shoe a number of times (through out multiple versions). My understanding was that Hoka tried to give a little more volume in the forefoot for version 4. It appears that may have not helped.

I looked up your customer file to check the sizes and shoe history. It looks like the Speedgoat 4 was in a 7.0 B then a 7.5 D. It may be worth trying the 7.5 B to see how that feels.

• From a ride standpoint, this should be similar, but maybe a bit softer. It also isn't as technical of a shoe. So, grip and protection will be less than the Speedgoat.
    • This is, essentially, a more performance oriented Speedgoat. I've heard rave reviews of it. If I'm recalling correctly, it is built on the Speedgoat 3 last.
  • Altra Olympus
    • This will have a few key differences: higher off the ground, wider toebox, and zero drop. So, this one would take the most time for your body to get use to.
  • ASICS Trabuco Max
    • I don't know a ton about this shoe in particular. I've heard a few people say it has some similarities to the Speedgoat. However, I can't say with 100% certainty how well it crosses over. Specs wise, it isn't too far off which is why I'm including it.

I'll let you know when I hear back from Liz (the other reviewer I reached out to).
Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff
Hi @MissyWB,

• Altra Olympus
  • ASICS Trabuco Max

Thank you,

Justin
RW Staff

Hey, Justin, thank you for all that info!

That's interesting about my order history showing a 7 rather than a 7.5...maybe that was a mistake on my end! I was road-running in the Rincon and in those I have to have a 7 - maybe I ordered the wrong size Speedgoats to try that first time. Interesting also about the EVO - I wondered how that was different and if they would fit more similarly to the 3s.

I have considered the Challengers but the terrain I generally run on does require good grip and under-foot protection.

You've given me some good options, thank you!

I have the same issue, not wide enough foot for the regular width and too wide for the wide. I'm on my fourth pair of Speedgoat 4s...Hoka says they don't have a release for the SG5's yet. I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to come put but in the meantime using my challengers which have decent but not great traction. Good luck on finding something that works!

MissyWB

I have the same issue, not wide enough foot for the regular width and too wide for the wide. I'm on my fourth pair of Speedgoat 4s...Hoka says they don't have a release for the SG5's yet. I'm (im)patiently waiting for it to come put but in the meantime using my challengers which have decent but not great traction. Good luck on finding something that works!

@sodak14 Thank you for sharing your experience as an in-betweener! I'm glad to hear it isn't just me! Have you tried the EVO Speedgoat? Justin @ RW says that's built on the SG3 last, so you may find that fit to be a little better than the 4s. I may give that one a try myself. The 3s are as close to a perfect fit as I've found.

@sodak14 Thank you for sharing your experience as an in-betweener! I'm glad to hear it isn't just me! Have you tried the EVO Speedgoat? Justin @ RW says that's built on the SG3 last, so you may find that fit to be a little better than the 4s. I may give that one a try myself. The 3s are as close to a perfect fit as I've found.
I have tried the 3's and I thought they were tight as the 4's. Loved the 2's. It seems to me they changed the upper material after the 2's to make it less forgiving/stretchy. I have a normal width foot and pretty much wear only Hokas and the SG are the only pair that I have the fit issue in. Haven't tried the EVO.

WNC

Runner
I’ve been running in HOKA trail shoes the past six months: SG3, SG4, EVO SG, and Torrent 2. The SG3 was my Goldilocks pair of the bunch, but they’re approaching end of life. I am not in love with the SG4–the upper seems sloppy and the midsole too squishy. I’m pretty happy with the EVO and recommend it if you liked the 3–the fit and feel seem like a midpoint between the 3 and 4, but lighter and higher build quality.
I also really like the Torrent 2. The upper has a similar degree of structure as the SG3. I found the volume a little too roomy, causing lockdown issues, and the ride a little too firm, but solved both problems with flat Spenco insoles that do not change the drop. Now this is my go-to for shorter or quicker days.