Victory or Dragonfly

I guess this is probably a better thread to ask my question in. I really didn’t get any definite answers in the racing shoe thread. I’ll just ask my question again:

I know that these two shoes aren’t available at the moment, but I would really like to figure out which one to get once restocked. I run more middle distance races and typically won’t go further than a 3200m. On occasion, I run a 5000m on the track. When I first heard about these two new spikes, I was 100% leaning towards the victory because it’s suggested range falls right within my racing distances. I also really like a stiff aggressive shoe for racing since I am more of a forefoot striker and can really compress a stiffer plate. My concern now though is that the Air Zoom Victory won’t have enough cushion for me. I’ve heard some reviews saying that the victory isn’t very comfortable for anything longer than a mile, so that’s why I am now unsure. For reference, I have been using the Brooks The Wire v5 for my track races and it feels plenty cushioned for everything I have done. The Wire also has a full length plate, but it is pebax and I find it to bend way too much for faster races. For any of you who have experience with at least one of the new Nike spikes, what would you suggest? Is my original plan of getting the Air Zoom Victory good, or would I be better off with the Dragonfly?

RW Admin

Administrator
Staff member
I guess this is probably a better thread to ask my question in. I really didn’t get any definite answers in the racing shoe thread. I’ll just ask my question again:

I know that these two shoes aren’t available at the moment, but I would really like to figure out which one to get once restocked. I run more middle distance races and typically won’t go further than a 3200m. On occasion, I run a 5000m on the track. When I first heard about these two new spikes, I was 100% leaning towards the victory because it’s suggested range falls right within my racing distances. I also really like a stiff aggressive shoe for racing since I am more of a forefoot striker and can really compress a stiffer plate. My concern now though is that the Air Zoom Victory won’t have enough cushion for me. I’ve heard some reviews saying that the victory isn’t very comfortable for anything longer than a mile, so that’s why I am now unsure. For reference, I have been using the Brooks The Wire v5 for my track races and it feels plenty cushioned for everything I have done. The Wire also has a full length plate, but it is pebax and I find it to bend way too much for faster races. For any of you who have experience with at least one of the new Nike spikes, what would you suggest? Is my original plan of getting the Air Zoom Victory good, or would I be better off with the Dragonfly?

Hi @Ben Anastasoff,

I apologize that your previous thread wasn't addressed. I sent a note over to @RW Staff 2 (Connor) as he has the experience with these to answer this question.

Justin
RW Staff

RW Staff 2

Administrator
Staff member
Thank you, I really appreciate it!
Hey Ben,
The decision to go with the victory or dragonfly is tough since both are fantastic shoes but given what you've said, I think the Victory will be a great option. The addition of Zoom X foam keeps weight ultra light but provides more underfoot cushioning than other shoes in the 4 oz weight range (other than the dragonfly). I think the shoe will perform phenomenally for the events you normally run and definitely has range to go to 5k. It will be more aggressive and stiffer but if your main concern is it not being cushioned enough, I dont think you need to worry (especially coming from wearing the wire). With that being said, the dragonfly is an awesome shoe but wont be quite as aggressive. I think you'd enjoy both spikes but I have a hunch the Victory is slightly more what you're looking for.

Connor
RW Staff

Hey Ben,
The decision to go with the victory or dragonfly is tough since both are fantastic shoes but given what you've said, I think the Victory will be a great option. The addition of Zoom X foam keeps weight ultra light but provides more underfoot cushioning than other shoes in the 4 oz weight range (other than the dragonfly). I think the shoe will perform phenomenally for the events you normally run and definitely has range to go to 5k. It will be more aggressive and stiffer but if your main concern is it not being cushioned enough, I dont think you need to worry (especially coming from wearing the wire). With that being said, the dragonfly is an awesome shoe but wont be quite as aggressive. I think you'd enjoy both spikes but I have a hunch the Victory is slightly more what you're looking for.

Connor
RW Staff
Thank you Connor!