ASICS Official Thread

Hello, my name is Bob Fay. I've been with ASICS about 2.5 years, working as a product merchandiser. My role is to understand the running landscape and work to curate the running line best fit for the market here in the US. It's a lot of listening and gathering feedback, then sharing that to our product creation team as everyone works to craft the best lineup of shoes in the marketplace. Very excited the RW team is launching this, as I think this forum will be a great spot to drive dialogue and hear from you all!

We've got a lot happening at the brand with Metaracer having just hit the market, a new cushioning/bounce foam in Novablast, and some fun evolution on our heritage product.

One thing we're all really excited about is a new shoe, launching for us in October, the GEL-Kayano Lite. It's a unique approach to stability, re-imagining what a Kayano can be- lighter, more sustainably built, yet still as protective/cushioned/stable as ever.

There's a lot of debate on stability and it's place in running, so happy to have some conversation on anything ASICS footwear related!

coachw

A lot of footwear companies have been integrating alternative lacing systems into their footwear. I'm not sure if it is just a fad, or adds much benefit. Is that something that ASICS plays with while designing footwear?

Hi Bob,

Huge fan of everything Asics. I would like to know what is the future of Asics's flagship shoes like the Kayano and nimbus with the newer "lite" models being produced. Will there always be a lite version and a standard version? Or will the "lite" version eventually become the the standard?

Also, roadhawk v3....I'm tired of waiting ?

A lot of footwear companies have been integrating alternative lacing systems into their footwear. I'm not sure if it is just a fad, or adds much benefit. Is that something that ASICS plays with while designing footwear?

We've done a variety of alternate closures and are always experimenting with new methods, including partnering with BOA in the past on shoes like the Dynamis and Fujirado. We currently work with them on our golf product, as well.
Within performance run, coming in late '20/early '21 we've got some new offerings, which will offer quick laces. We've also experimented with unique eyelet adjustments and asymmetrical lacing setups.
There's certainly performance benefits at times- within a Triathlon, where quick transitions are key + on trails or in competition where focused, dynamic lock down is important, so our product team is consistently testing opportunities and direction.

Hi Bob, I have really enjoyed the Glideride's But after about 6 miles the balls of my feet start hurting ( Wimpy feet :) ) Will there be a update on the Glideride anytime soon?

Thank you
Jim

Ray A

Hi Bob will asics be making a high cushion carbon plate shoe any time soon? I'm thinking a mashup with the metaracer and the novablast...Im calling it the novaracer.

Hi Bob! Thanks for spending some time on the board today. Are there any plans to develop a slightly higher stack or more cushioned "training companion" for the Metaracer?
Thanks for the question! Metaracer shares our GuideSole technology with the GlideRide and EvoRide. GlideRide is our max cushioned/higher stack efficiency trainer- it's my choice trainer. EvoRide is that middle ground versatile option- guidesole in a lower slung, snappy package- works as a daily trainer for some, a great tempo option for others. We've been thrilled with the reception of Metaracer and have more to come in the racing space in early '21, keep an eye out!

Hi Bob will asics be making a high cushion carbon plate shoe any time soon? I'm thinking a mashup with the metaracer and the novablast...Im calling it the novaracer.
I like the way you think! We are focused on innovating and connecting technologies across our line. Keep an eye out for new products in the future...

Hi Bob, I have really enjoyed the Glideride's But after about 6 miles the balls of my feet start hurting ( Wimpy feet :) ) Will there be a update on the Glideride anytime soon?

Thank you
Jim
Hi Jim, bummer to hear you get a it beat up if you go too far in them... but glad you enjoy them overall. Glideride is my choice daily trainer. We've got an update coming in February, that's a pretty exciting evolution.

Hi Bob,

Huge fan of everything Asics. I would like to know what is the future of Asics's flagship shoes like the Kayano and nimbus with the newer "lite" models being produced. Will there always be a lite version and a standard version? Or will the "lite" version eventually become the the standard?

Also, roadhawk v3....I'm tired of waiting ?
Hey Jami! Thanks for chiming in. We're using the Lite series for 2 purposes- test innovations within our legends + push sustainability initiatives at the brand. The learnings on both accounts will then cascade into our longer running flagship shoes. Not saying there will always be both in our line, but for the foreseeable future, there will be- Gel-Nimbus Lite 2 is baked and an exciting story, soon to be unveiled. The team's been working through feedback and sample rounds on the Kayano Lite 2 for next year. Looking forward to you getting some miles in them... I'm sure we'll hear what you think! :)

I used to be a Roadhawk wearer myself, but better stuff has come out of the brand since in that category... Novablast, Evoride, soon- Dynablast.... Even Cumulus 22 is lighter with more cushion than Roadhawk 2, via a big overhaul from our product team!

ccrw

Hi Bob. Thanks for joining us to answer our questions. I am really enjoying the Nimbus Lite especially since I feel it has a more modern take on the classic by dropping a lot of weight with the improved Flytefoam as well as the increased sustainability. When can we expect the Nimbus Lite 2, and will the Talk Running forum members get an early look like the Kayano Lite?

I am also with the other members in looking for a higher stack height Asics Metaracer. I love my current pair, but I am only able to use it for shorter efforts as I am a heavier runner. I would love to have the same shoe just with more midsole stack for my longer efforts.

Thanks again!

Hi Bob. Thanks for joining us to answer our questions. I am really enjoying the Nimbus Lite especially since I feel it has a more modern take on the classic by dropping a lot of weight with the improved Flytefoam as well as the increased sustainability. When can we expect the Nimbus Lite 2, and will the Talk Running forum members get an early look like the Kayano Lite?

I am also with the other members in looking for a higher stack height Asics Metaracer. I love my current pair, but I am only able to use it for shorter efforts as I am a heavier runner. I would love to have the same shoe just with more midsole stack for my longer efforts.

Thanks again!
Nimbus Lite 2 will be coming 12/1... we'll definitely look to connect with the Talk Running/RW team to share an early look. It's a fun push forward for the style!
On the racing flat front, I'm a heavier runner as well. Loving the Metaracer for short-medium faster efforts currently, but can only say I'm excited for what the team is working on in the racing pipeline!

Hi Bob,

I love the idea of Lite versions, is there any plan to release a GT-2000 Lite?
Right now, we're just planning for GEL-Nimbus and GEL-Kayano Lites. The GEL-Kayano Lite is more cushioned/stable than a GT-2000- but lighter, so we don't feel the need to do a 'Lite' version of 2000- with GEL-Kayano/ Gel-Kayano Lite/ GT-2000/ GEL-DS Trainer, we feel we have a solution for every stability wearer.
The team hope to use some of the tech debuting in GEL-Kayano Lite to inform future GT-2000s as well. It's fun watching PLMs/development cross pollinate different technologies to apply them to the goals of styles.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for being available to answer some questions. I haven't been able to find an Asics running shoe that works for me yet but you definitely have my attention with the new Kayano Lite which is reviewed with you in another thread. Maybe I missed it but is this shoe not out yet because I can't seem to find that style/version anywhere? The sole looks very similar to what I'm accustomed to running in so I definitely want to try out a pair. Thank you.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for being available to answer some questions. I haven't been able to find an Asics running shoe that works for me yet but you definitely have my attention with the new Kayano Lite which is reviewed with you in another thread. Maybe I missed it but is this shoe not out yet because I can't seem to find that style/version anywhere? The sole looks very similar to what I'm accustomed to running in so I definitely want to try out a pair. Thank you.

Hey Bob,

It's coming 10/1... we worked with the Running Warehouse team to unveil it a bit early, since it's something totally new. Stay tuned in about a month!